Proposed Salary Range$120,000.00 – $140,000.00 (Annual)
The Mayor’s Office of Contract Services (MOCS) is a New York City oversight and service agency that manages procurement citywide, from planning and release of agency solicitations to payment of vendors. Annually, agencies procure billions in products and services from a diverse pool of vendors that represent various industries. MOCS therefore aims to ensure that the procurement process remains fair, transparent, efficient and cost-effective.
MOCS makes it easier to do business through use of end-to-end technology tools, increases transparency by publication of enriched data and hosting public hearings, and strengthens procurement operations by providing direct assistance and resources to all stakeholders. MOCS also partners with agencies and vendors to identify areas for policy reform, resulting in ongoing process improvement to reduce administrative burdens and increase the positive impact of services on communities. The MOCS Director serves as the City Chief Procurement Officer.
MOCS has an opportunity for an experienced, customer-oriented Associate Director of Project Management to assist in overseeing the program implementation of the City of New York’s Procurement Strategic Sourcing and Solutions Portal (PASSPort), a comprehensive web-based strategic e-sourcing and e-procurement system, that will be hosted in a cloud-based, software as a service (“SaaS”) environment. In Fiscal Year 2016, the City procured greater than $15 billion in goods, services, and construction through more than 43,000 transactions. Sourcing and procurement is currently managed by individual City agencies that leverage existing Citywide and agency-specific systems, in addition to out-of-system processes. Currently, the City’s procurement tracking system has approximately 3,000 users. PASSPort will consolidate these systems.
The goals of the Technology Strategy team are to:
• Increase efficiency and reduce cycle times and transaction costs by streamlining, automating and standardizing procurement processes
• Improve the quality and availability of relevant information to support procurement planning and decision making.
• Improve flexibility for the City to quickly add or modify workflows, business rules, user permissions, etc. to adapt to frequent changes in laws, policies and stakeholders.
• Expand and modernize the tools and resources available to incorporate best practices within the City’s procurement environment, including but not limited to contract administration, collaborative purchasing, and strategic sourcing.
Under the direction of the Chief Technology Officer, with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment, the principal duties and responsibilities of the Associate Director are as follows:
• Demonstrate extensive knowledge and a proven record of success in managing all aspects of projects including the identification of business requirements, functional design, process design (including scenario design, flow mapping), prototyping, release management, testing, reporting and analytics.
• Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the CTO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential, handle incoming and outgoing phone calls and arrange conference calls.
• Plans, coordinates and ensures the CTO’s schedule is followed and respected. Provides “gatekeeper” and “gateway” role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the CTO’s time and office.
• Review project processes, validation practices, and business rules for completeness and scalability.
• Manage team of PMO analysts, Production Support Analysts, and Assistant Director
• Communicates directly, and on behalf of the CTO, with senior staff, external stakeholders, and others, on matters related to CTO’s programmatic initiatives.
• Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CTO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
• Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the CTO’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
• Works closely and effectively with the CTO to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a “barometer,” having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the CTO updated.
• Develops, maintains, and manages IT Steering Committee and Release Management planning. This includes the successful delivery of enhancements to the Technology that MOCS supports that are prioritized by level of effort and business value.
• Manages and oversees the production support team for the PASSPort application (a cloud
• Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CTO’s ability to effectively lead the Technology Strategy Division.
• Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
• Develop and maintain project risk profile for technical project implementations
• Coordinates with Administration Team to maintain project budget and invoice receipts across several agencies and report on the project burnrate to Executive staff
• Assist in coordinating the hiring and onboarding of staff, while maintaining the management of that staff’s time and budget via signing of timesheets and weekly reporting.
• Maintain project documentation (SOPs, Job Aids, etc.) and training documentation to coordinate technical trainings across several technical teams.
• Coordinate review of deliverables between vendor and City team
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a baccalaureate degree; or
2. Graduation from an accredited community college plus two years of experience with administrative, analytic, coordinative, supervisory or liaison responsibilities; or
3. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus four years of experience as described in “2” above; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience
We are looking for candidates who not only have the required experience and skills but can demonstrate a high level of professionalism and customer service. If you combine high business acumen with technical expertise and team collaboration, you are strongly encouraged to apply. Our ideal candidate possesses the following experience and skills:
• Positive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Excellent organization and communication skills.
• Must be able to multi-task with strict attention to detail.
• Ability to critically think to solve problems
• Ability to work independently and in collaboration with other units and team members.
• Strong PC skills, including Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
• College degree or equivalent experience in computer science, IT project management, computer systems engineering, information systems, economics, or related field.
• Certifications in Project Management Professional (PMP), ITIL, CSM, CPMP a plus
• Deep IT project management experience and exposure
• Understand/Interpret complex Business Processes and Rules
• System Requirements elicitation and validation
• Ability to communicate with 3rd parties as needed for requirements gathering
• Attention to detail
• Lead meetings and prioritize assignments
• Learn and adapt to new management software systems (i.e. Remedy, JIRA, HP Quality Center, SharePoint, etc.)
**As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.**
See DCAS Directive No. 2020-2 (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/agencies/directive_2020_2.pdf) regarding residency requirement during the COVID-19 emergency.
The U.S. Department of Education provides student loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP) to qualifying public service employees. As an employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness should you meet the program’s eligibility requirements. For additional information on PSLFP, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
External Applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs and search for Job ID#: 471438.
Current City Employees, please go to www.nyc.gov/ess and search for Job ID#: 471438
Mayor’s Office of Contract Services is an equal opportunity employer. Mayor’s Office of Contract Services recognizes the unique skills and strengths gained through military service. Veterans and service members of the U.S. Armed Forces are strongly encouraged to apply. Special accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities. Please contact MOCS Disability Service Facilitator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-298-0734 only to request an accommodation. No other phone calls or personal inquiries permitted.
For technical assistance, please use the following supported browsers: Chrome 35 and above, Firefox 24 and above, Internet Explorer 9 and above, and Safari 6 and above. If you encounter any errors, please clear your cache (web browser history). For instructions, please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=NYC_EHIRE_HELP_FL&Action=U&. When navigating this website, you should use only the links and navigational buttons within the pages. Using your web browser’s BACK, FORWARD or REFRESH buttons may cause loss of data or lead to unintentional log outs.
255 Greenwich Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10007
This title must comply with Executive Order 131, which mandates residency within New York City (five boroughs).