The mission of Home Base, A Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Program, is to heal the “invisible wounds” of Veterans, Service Members and their families, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury (TBI), by connecting them to world class care. Home Base provides clinical care and support services, as well as community education, and innovative research. We provide clinical care to currently serving men and women (Active duty, National Guard, and Reserve), Veterans, and their families.
Home Base seeks to hire 1 co-op/intern for approximately Jan-Jun 2022 who will support a variety of tasks, including data analysis, cleaning and validating data, building ETLs, designing and building dashboards, front-end user experiences, and documentation. We are looking for a candidate who is highly detail-oriented, responsible, highly organized, motivated, and able to thrive in a fast-paced team environment. Qualified candidate enjoys the challenge of a dynamic environment with evolving needs and multiple work streams.
This position is fully remote.
1. Front-end Focus
1) Dashboard development
i. Support and enhance existing Tableau dashboards, specifically as the data source changes from our old database to new data warehouse
ii. Iterate on dashboard design and function with various stakeholders
2) Data Analysis and Reporting
i. Support ad-hoc data analysis
ii. Build ad-hoc ETLs for data report
iii. Data validation
3) Data quality monitoring
i. Monitor key data quality metrics and engage with users as needed to understand and address root causes behind emerging issues
2. General Responsibilities
1) Create and maintain technical documentation
Skills & Competencies
1) Graduate student or advanced undergraduate in Health Informatics, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or a similar field
2) Familiarity with behavioral health clinical practice and/or research preferred
2. Technical – Front-end Focus
1) Knowledge of relational databases and data aggregation and transformation processes (e.g. pivot, merge, union, hierarchical grouping, aggregation functions)
2) Above average SQL skills (e.g. familiar with subqueries, multiple joins, and grouping), specifically, MySQL and/or SQL Server
3) Above average Tableau skills or other data visualization tools
4) Good data analysis, data validation and testing skills
5) Knowledge of Statistics (e.g., descriptive stats, p-value, chi-square, regression, etc.)
6) Comfortable using various types of data/sources in analysis and development
1) Ability to interpret and follow-through on data requirements and with strong attention to detail
2) Strength in independently validating and debugging code and analyses, including consulting documentation, Stack Exchange, etc.
3) Demonstrates personal initiative and time management skills, as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a team
4) Ability to meet deadlines and multitask efficiently
5) Excellent verbal and written communication skills
6) Interest in identifying improvement opportunities is a plus
Required: Senior undergrad or graduate student in Health Informatics, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or a related subject.
Preferred coursework would include most of the following:
1) Introductory Programming
2) Introductory Databases and SQL
3) Data Structures
4) Data Quality Management
2. Front-end Focus
1) Dashboards or Data Visualization
2) Introductory Statistics