This paid opportunity was created for actively enrolled MIT undergraduate students in partnership with the PKG Center’s Social Impact Internship program. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Majira’s vision is to create wealth and sustainable communities by enabling growth for small businesses serving communities of color. Entrepreneurs of color suffer disproportionately from poor access to the human, intellectual, social, and financial capital needed to launch and grow a successful business. The lack of these resources leads to a failure to survive, grow profitably, and overcome operational and financial hurdles for businesses. Originally operating under Msaada Partners since 2016, Majira, now an independent non-profit, has been providing the technical assistance and network connections needed for businesses to overcome the post-accelerator “Valley of Death” to get to 1st and 2nd stage growth.
The flagship program of Majira is a sixteen week program from September to February for entrepreneurs of color wherein participants receive individualized coaching, connections, and a consulting engagement with the Boston Consulting Group (BCG). Majira is looking for summer interns interested in assisting companies with the implementation and execution of strategies developed by coaches and consulting teams during the formal program as well as helping Majira build out their internal operations. Interns will receive direct experience working with early stage startups and/or small businesses serving underserved communities, mentorship from Majira staff, and opportunities to hear from speakers on a range of topics relevant to the current startup ecosystem. Examples of some Majira companies interns may be engaged with:
- Code Wiz
- Fresh Food Generation
- Math Talk
- Quality Interactions
- Tech Connection
The full list of companies that Majira works with can be found on our website. Please include in your cover letter the top three Majira companies you would be interested in working with.
Potential Role and Responsibilities
- Lead the implementation of a marketing or operations project for a Majira company from start to finish: working with entrepreneurs to develop timelines, work plans, and deliverables, and coordinating other interns supporting the project.
- Contribute as part of an intern team to deliver a marketing or operations project for a second Majira company from start to finish
- Manage and deliver an operational project to help improve Majira internal processes
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Current undergrad or graduate student
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, time-management and commitment to our mission of “Community Development through Entrepreneurship”
- Meticulous attention to detail while also being able to grasp the big picture
- Self-motivated, flexible, and quick learner who is motivated to exceed expectations
- Able to achieve goals independently, but also contribute as a team player
- Entrepreneurial and passionate about learning the ins-and-outs of our day to day operations
- Familiarity with social entrepreneurship, startups, or nonprofits
- Experience with social media, digital marketing, or operational process improvement
- As part of the Social Impact Internship program, students may be eligible for a stipend of up to $5,000 or through federal work-study for eligible students.
Desired Length of Commitment
- 25-40 hrs/week, June 6-August 19, 2022; between 300 and 400 hours.
- Kimberly Hui Chang at email@example.com with any questions about the position