- NH Certification in Special Education or Learning Disabilities
- Experience with specialized reading programs a plus+
Responsible for planning, developing, delivering and evaluating appropriate individualized educational services, learning programs and instruction for special needs students in both self-contained and integrated settings in consultation with other school personnel.
Building Principal or Designee
(The following are illustrative of the responsibilities associated with this position and are not intended to be all-inclusive.)
• Identify the needs of assigned students through formal and informal assessments.
• Review referral data, history and assessment data to develop appropriate goals and objectives for each student.
• Confer with general education teachers regarding the educational, social, emotional and physical needs and objectives of each student.
• Plan, develop and implement individualized learning plans for each student.
• Design appropriate teaching strategies.
• Prepare instructional materials and lesson plans according to Individual Educational Plans (IEPs).
• Review IEPs with parents, school administrators and general education teachers.
• Monitor, evaluate and document each student’s progress utilizing appropriate measurements and assessment devices.
• Prepare timely progress reports for each student.
• Develop and implement necessary interventions and strategies to promote achievement of student objectives.
• Collaborate and consult with general school personnel regarding the implementation of the IEPs and special educational services.
• Modify and adapt conventional educational programs and curriculum to meet the requirements of special needs students.
• Maintain regular communication with parents by means of email, phone calls, conferences and progress reports.
• Assist parents with understanding and supporting educational objectives, learning expectations and behavioral standards.
• Ensure adherence to reasonable rules of classroom discipline and order to maintain a secure and effective learning environment.
• Manage student behavior through monitoring, supervising and assessing behavioral patterns.
• Utilize appropriate corrective methods to modify behavior.
• Develop and implement Behavioral Intervention Plans (BIPs) where necessary.
• Instruct students on socially acceptable behaviors and personal development skills.
• Prepare special needs students for inclusion and transition to mainstream.
• Maintain accurate and complete records in compliance with school district regulations and legal requirements.
• Maintain a current knowledge of special education best practices and trends.
• Knowledge of lockdown procedures, fire drills, emergency backpacks to insure a safe school environment.
• Organizational and planning skills
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Judgment and decision-making
• Creative thinking
• Conflict management and resolution
• Appreciation of diversity
• Bachelor’s degree in the appropriate field
• Valid New Hampshire State teaching certification
• Appropriate Special Education endorsements or licensure
• Experience in diagnosing and assessing learning disorders
• Experience in educating special needs students
• Proven effective classroom and student behavior management skills
• Knowledge of current special education practices and methodologies
• knowledge and understanding of State, local and federal regulations and policies affecting special education
• Working knowledge of educational technology applications
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Refer to the contract between the Londonderry School Board and the Londonderry Educational Association Union for additional information.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of Professional Personnel and Union Agreement.