This is a federal work-study position created in partnership with the PKG Center for Public Service, open to students who have federal work-study eligibility. If you are unsure if you are eligible, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internship – Business Analyst – LEAF
LEAF is a community development financial institution that focuses on financial and economic inclusion, access to healthy food, and access to affordable housing for underserved communities. Nationally, we provide financing and development assistance to cooperatives and social purpose ventures. In Massachusetts, we also provide technical assistance and advisory services including growth capital management and business planning and analysis to minority- and women-owned small businesses.
LEAF’s small business advisory program values analysts for their strong research and analysis skills. Your primary role will be to support projects through industry and market research, in-depth business analysis, and insightful problem solving. You will be working directly with team analysts and business owners to investigate and find solutions to challenging problems. These range from financial budgeting and finding cash flow leaks to navigating complex debt restructurings. The COVID-19 crisis has placed the survival of many small businesses at stake, amplifying the need for specialized technical assistance. This role is a unique opportunity to serve as a first responder, helping small businesses succeed in a difficult environment.
Common Responsibilities could include:
- Forecasting financial performance, including creation of cash flow analyses and multi-year forecasts
- Analyzing product-line, channel, customer, business unit profitability
- Building integrated three-statement financial models and operating plans
- Synthesizing market intelligence and peer benchmarking data
- Creating insightful dashboards to track KPIs weekly, monthly, and quarterly
- Engaging with key business stakeholders including our client’s employees, boards, investors, lenders, and customers
- Collaborate on the production of deliverables including investment memos, PPT presentations, excel reports, capabilities statements and other project requirements.
- Other worthwhile activities based on your skills and interests.
- Strong interest in exploring how finance and business can be tools for social impact and justice
- Microsoft Office proficiency including advanced Excel capability
- Familiarity with finance and accounting.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Advanced Spanish proficiency is a plus
- In alignment with our core values on diversity and inclusion, we highly encourage female candidates to apply