The Scientist/Senior Scientist, Enzymology will be responsible for developing and performing enzyme and binding assays to support drug discovery and development in a team environment. The scientist fulfilling this position will be responsible for characterizing the effects of small molecules on specific protein targets and will provide enzymology expertise to the project teams. A strong background in experimental curve-fitting, statistics, and assay optimization and execution is required.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Extensive knowledge in assay development, mechanism-of-action studies, enzyme characterization, kinetics, and protein biochemistry is required.
- Design, develop, and execute enzyme and binding assays in multiple formats.
- Screen small molecule inhibitors in plate-based assays formats to drive internal structure-based drug design.
- Perform comprehensive data analysis and communicate experimental findings to the project team members.
- Operate, implement, and troubleshoot laboratory automation.
- Actively engage in advancing small molecule drug discovery oncology programs.
- This is a “hands-on” laboratory, based position.
Required Qualifications and Preferred Background:
- Ph.D. with >3 years’ experience in industry or academia, or BS or MS with >7 years industrial experience. Degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Biology or related field.
- To be considered for the Senior Scientist position the candidate must have drug discovery experience gained in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company.
- The successful candidate must have expertise in biochemistry, enzymology, and assay development.
- Experience with general biochemical and kinetic-based assay technologies (e.g. FP, TR-FRET, AlphaScreen, Luminescence)
- Experience with laboratory instrumentation and automation for medium to high-throughput screening
- QTOF experience is a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including experimental documentation
- Strong publication record
- Works well with team members daily across functional areas
- Ability to multi-task and shift priorities rapidly to meet tight deadlines
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail
- Good and thoughtful listener
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and a continuous learner
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and applications