This paid opportunity was created for actively enrolled MIT undergraduate students in partnership with the PKG Center’s Social Impact Internship program. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Who we are:
Learning Seeds is an education technology company that scales great teaching with innovative professional-coaching technology to help neurodiverse children build positive social habits. Our unique techniques help children with social and communication goals, expand their autonomy and build authentic social connections in inclusive settings like the child’s neighborhood school, camp, or playground. We then capture those techniques in our proprietary database in order to scale our reach to other educators through personalized professional-coaching software.
As a social impact fellow, you will have the opportunity to work with the founding team of a social-impact startup, and to make important contributions to a project supporting young children with Autism and social and communication diagnoses. We care about our team, have a culture of radical transparency, and take every person’s commitments and curiosities seriously.
We are looking for a Data Science Intern to help us scale our web-based platform. We currently use algorithms and solid data hygiene to recommend items from the database to a user, and we are preparing to expand the machine learning involved in personalizing the user’s professional development experience.
Responsibility of the Data Science Intern
- Help prototype and build our natural language processing platform to give teachers best-practice strategies in the teachable moment
- Use machine learning to analyze our highly-curated database of labeled, leveled teaching strategies to train classification models
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills, Qualifications and other Requirements
- Basic proficiency in Python is required
- Working knowledge of NTLK, scikit-learn or a similar NLP framework desirable but not required
- Knowledge of Amazon Comprehend or similar cloud-based NLP services is desirable but not required
Timing + Stipend: Full-time over IAP; between 120-160 hours. As part of the Social Impact Internship program, students may be eligible for a stipend of up to $2,000.