Lead for America is now accepting applications for the 2022 Fellowship cohort. *The LFA Fellowship can be located in any city, there is no location restriction. See below for more details.
Who We Are
Lead For America (LFA) is a national nonprofit that helps outstanding young people become civic leaders and address the tough challenges facing their communities. LFA seeks to direct homegrown talent where it’s needed most — in towns and counties where challenges outpace resources available — often in rural and under-resourced communities. Through their flagship two-year paid Fellows program, LFA has funded and placed over 215 Fellows in over 100 communities and 35 states in newly created positions in Fellow home communities since 2019.
An LFA Fellowship is a full-time paid two-year placement. LFA Fellows are community activators. You work to revitalize your community and show that another way of leading and living—rooted in love and collective wellbeing—is possible. The fellowship is structured to cultivate your personal leadership development, amplify your community impact, and support you in strengthening the civic fabric of your hometown for the long term.
The fellowship is based around 4 components:
- Placement and Project Scope: Fellows are placed with a local institution (nonprofit, local government, service-driven organization) to add capacity with tackling a community-identified “critical challenge”. By working within these institutions, Fellows will gain access to resources and develop an understanding of the key roles that they can play in growing & sustaining a vibrant community.
- Leadership Development + Support: Fellows will participate in LFA’s national Changemaker Summit – a multiweek summer program where they learn alongside other Fellows, professionals, academics, and social sector leaders across a multitude of fields, and receive leadership development and character-building training. Administered in partnership with Tufts University’s Tisch College of Civic Life, Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, and the University of Minnesota, past Changemaker Summits have included over 60 speakers from all over the country. Fellows also attend quarterly retreats, receive 1:1 expert mentorship, and join a growing community of local leaders throughout their two-year fellowship.
- Listening Tour + Community Venture: Fellows conduct a Listening Tour of their community to identify areas where their unique talents and passions can serve greater community needs and inspire them to launch a Community Venture. Community Ventures are Fellow-initiated projects that are aimed to address critical challenges in their communities. Fellows can secure funding and mentorship support from Lead For America in starting their venture, whether it be creating a community center, non-profit, business start-up, etc.
- Multiplier Effect: Fellows will identify emerging opportunities for their communities and mobilize community members to seize those opportunities. Fellows also help recruit an additional young leaders to return, move to, or become activated to serve in their home community.
Timeline + Key Dates
- General Rolling Application Open (September 1st, 2021 – January 7th, 2022)
- Fellowship Placement Locations Announced (January 10th, 2022)
- Final Application Closes (April 1st, 2022)
- Application Review & Interview Period (April 4th – May 20th, 2022)
- Fellows Notified if Accepted (May 30th, 2022)
- LFA Changemaker Summit (July 25th – August 5th, 2022)
- Fellowship Starts (August 15th, 2022)
-Be a U.S. Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident.
-If in college, be on track to earn an undergraduate degree by June 2022, though a college degree is not required for applying to the fellowship.
-Be able to make a full-time commitment (the fellowship is a full-time job).
Learn More & Contact Us
To learn more about the fellowship program or LFA, please see here.
If you do not see an email from LFA after submitting your registration in the LFA application portal, please check your spam folder.
You can also contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with general inquires.