We have an opening for a Cybersecurity Engineer to independently and collaboratively perform a wide range of activities associated with supporting the Cyber Security Operations Center (CSOC) infrastructure. This position is in the Information Technology Solutions Division (ITSD) within the Computing Directorate matrixed to the Cyber Security Program (CSP), in support of the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide computer science and software development support using industry standard software development practices leveraging modern programming languages such as Python within Linux, UNIX, and/or Windows environments.
- Function as a team member while implementing and managing infrastructure utilizing configuration management tools, such as Ansible or Puppet, to configure Linux environments that implement moderately complex operational and security requirements.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer programs on workstations, servers, and cloud-based environments.
- Develop scripting and automation to provide solutions to common problems and reduce operational overhead.
- Install, maintain, and configure system environments to support CSOC services, including servers, operating systems, storage devices, and applications software.
- As a CSOC team member, respond to incidents, triage cyber security events, and threat hunting activities.
- Support systems and cyber operations during off-hours as needed and perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Create and manage processes, systems, and develop tools to automate complex tasks and improve monitoring infrastructure services.
- Manage multiple parallel tasks, ensuring deadlines are met, leveraging team member skills.
- Contribute to the continuous integration and deployment by developing automated unit tests and deployment scripts.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience developing software in Python or other programming languages.
- Technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware in a moderately complex server environment.
- Knowledge of distributing and enforcing standard configurations for operating systems leveraging configuration management tools such as Ansible or Puppet.
- Effective written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, technical team environment with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Experience with approaching difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity, and to change focus when necessary.
- Ability to work off-hours and on-call to respond to incidents (intermittently, either as-needed or as part of a rotation).
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Experience architecting and administering redundant and fault tolerant enterprise Linux server environments including deployment, patching, monitoring, backup and repairing.
- Experience providing innovative approaches and apply new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Broad experience applying effective analytical and problem-solving skills to moderately complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with containerization.
- Experience with cloud services such as AWS/Azure; experience with cybersecurity tools, such as Wireshark, Snort, or Nmap.
- Experience with enterprise logging architecture, ingestion, and dashboarding.