Every summer, Kittelson brings on current students in an immersive internship program that builds upon their coursework and past experiences. Each intern is paired with a mentor who helps them get a breadth of exposure through projects across the planning, design, operations, and research aspects of the transportation profession, while having opportunities to interact with other interns and build relationships with Kittelson staff.
We look for students who are curious, collaborative, and who share our interest in improving people’s everyday lives through developing creative, equitable, and effective transportation solutions.
While it’s beneficial to have exposure to industry software tools (GIS, Synchro, HCS, VISSIM, etc.) and reference materials (Highway Capacity Manual, AASHTO Green Book, NACTO Urban Street Design Guide, etc.), the more important thing is being willing and capable to learn on the job and apply that knowledge to projects. Regardless of prior experience with transportation, we look for students who display:
- A genuine interest in learning about the transportation profession
- Strong communication, writing, and collaboration skills, both in-person and using technology to work across multiple offices/locations
- Ability to apply personal judgment and critical thinking to enhance value on projects
- Ownership of project quality
- A demonstrated willingness to push outside their comfort zone
- Excitement to learn new things and work on a variety of projects and disciplines
The hourly rate for this position is $21.00-$26.00/hour (position within this range determined by year in school), with a relocation bonus if applicable.
Note: due to unique circumstances, we pivoted to offer virtual and hybrid internships in Summer 2020 and 2021. We are still in the process of evaluating if the 2022 program can be safely completed in-office or if it will take a hybrid approach with the option to participate virtually depending on each intern’s location and preferences.
For more details about our internship program and to express interest for summer 2022, we encourage you to visit our Internships page. We look forward to hearing from you!