Food Product Development Internship @ Kinoko Labs
Job Title: Food Product Development Internship (ideally full-time, but part-time possible)
Location: New York, US
Starting Date: As early as possible
At Kinoko Labs, our vision is to accelerate the world’s transition to an environmentally sustainable, equitable, and animal-free food system.
Our mission is to create the next generation of meat alternatives, starting with whole-cut meat products grown naturally from fungal mycelium. We aim to create better-than-meat products that deliver on the entire taste experience, nutrition, and price of traditional meat without compromise.
Founded in 2020, Kinoko Labs is the first European fungi-based meat alternative company focusing entirely on the whole-cut meat segment. We are now running our R&D in New York, after joining the August 2021 cohort of IndieBio, the World’s leading biotech development program.
We are looking for a Food Product Development Intern to assist our R&D team in the development of our whole-cut meat alternative based on mycelium fermentation. You should be passionate about new protein alternatives and future foods (previous experience is a great plus). You should have an entrepreneurial drive and mindset, high ambition and the ability to assist the scientific team in the development of our downstream bioprocess.
Role & Responsibilities:
• Develop innovative solutions for creating our whole-cut fungi-based whole-cut meat-alternatives.
• Assist the product development process from idea to benchtop, and further to mass scale applications.
• Bring new ideas to the table for raw material post processing and product development during the downstream process.
• Research and develop new food technologies and product building blocks, including flavor & texture interactions.
• Effective communication skills in broad interdisciplinar environments.
• Proactively collaborate cross-functionally in multiple projects that adhere to fast timelines.
• MA Student or recent BA graduate in Food Science, Food Technology or related experience.
• Previous experience in new food product development of alternative protein solutions, ideally based on fungi.
• Knowledge on the different tests for food organoleptic properties applied to novel meat alternatives.
• Experience in reaction flavor chemistry and/or making new textured material is a plus.
• Experience with designing and conducting sensory testing is a plus.
• Proven ability in interpreting scientific data;
• Excellent communications skills, teamwork and emotional intelligence;
• English language proficiency, both written and spoken.
Great to have:
• Previous experience on the post processing of fungal biomass as a meat alternative.
• Rigorous scientific mindset and methodological mindset.
• Strategic and analytical thinker, capable of assisting on plans to improve internal competencies and technologies to achieve company objectives;
• Previous experience with the design and development of bioprocesses, especially around scale-up and process optimisation;
• Passion for mushrooms;
• Intermediate level at Microsoft Excel
• Opportunity to join a dynamic and diverse mission-driven team with sky-high ambitions to build the future of food!
• Chance to shape and co-create scientific strategy at an early-stage
•Last but not least, opportunity to work in an innovative, high-impact environment with flexible working hours, minimal hierarchy and endless growth opportunities!
- Send the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Food Product Development Internship”: CV, Cover letter (max. 250 words)
- In the body of the email, please include your earliest starting date.