Fermentation Research Internship @ Kinoko Labs
Job Title: Fermentation Research Intern (ideally full-time, but part-time possible)
Location: Manhattan, New York
Starting Date: As early as possible
At Kinoko Labs, our vision is to accelerate the world’s transition to an environmentally sustainable, equitable, and animal-free food system.
Our mission is to create the next generation of meat alternatives, starting with whole-cut meat products grown naturally from fungal mycelium. We aim to create better-than-meat products that deliver on the entire taste experience, nutrition, and price of traditional meat without compromise.
Founded in 2020, Kinoko Labs is the first European fungi-based meat alternative company focusing entirely on the whole-cut meat segment. We are now running our R&D in New York, after joining the August 2021 cohort of IndieBio, the World’s leading biotech development program.
We are looking for a Fermentation Research Intern to assist our R&D team in the development of our mycelium-based technology. You should be passionate about microbial fermentation in cultivating fungi (previous experience is a great plus). You should have an entrepreneurial drive and mindset, high ambition and the ability to assist the scientific team in the development of our upstream and downstream bioprocess.
Role & Responsibilities:
• Assist the R&D team in planning, executing, and analyzing benchtop fermentation trials, including operations of fermentation reactors and downstream separation systems, to improve growth and other characteristics
• Perform medium and strain screening at lab scale
• Develop and improve relevant analytical methods
• Maintain lab and benchtop equipment
• Make up fermentation media and dosing chemicals, including bag sterilization
• Evaluate and maintain fermentation data in databases, and write scientific reports to keep track of progress
• Analyse datasets and infer underlying chemical and biological processes
• Effectively present lab findings to Lead Scientist and wider team
• Assisting to generate new scientific ideas to help shape Kinoko Labs’ overall direction as a company and support its evolving needs
• MA Student or recent BA graduate in Biology/ Biotechnology/ Microbiology or Biochemical engineering or relevant degree
• Previous experience in lab work and fermentation technology
• Previous experience in cultivating filamentous fungi at lab scales
• Proven ability in interpreting scientific data
• Excellent communications skills, teamwork and emotional intelligence
• English language proficiency, both written and spoken
• Previous experience with using sidestreams (plant biomass) as fermentation substrate
• Knowledge on different statistical design of experiments models
• Hands-on experience on mushroom cultivation
• Strategic and analytical thinker, capable of assisting on plans to improve internal competencies and technologies to achieve company objectives
• Previous experience with the design and development of bioprocesses, especially around scale-up and process optimisation
• Intermediate level at Microsoft Excel
• Opportunity to work with a dynamic and diverse mission-driven team with sky-high ambitions to build the future of food
• Chance to help shape our bioprocess development and the direction of our scientific strategy at an early-stage
• Opportunity to work in an innovative environment with flexible working hours and minimal hierarchy
If this description sounds like your dream job, please reach out to us!
- Send the following application materials to email@example.com with subject line “Fermentation Research Intern ”: CV, Cover letter (max. 250 words)
- In the body of the email, please include your earliest starting date.