As a Structural Design Engineer Intern, you will be a part of a growing team that supports all aspects of the construction process by performing innovative design engineering through brainstorming conceptual designs, performing and/or reviewing structural calculations, developing plans, scheduling tasks to meet client needs, as well as mitigating risk to keep our construction crews safe.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner’s engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
– Gas-fired generation
– Power delivery
– Environmental retrofits
– Renewables and new technology
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office.
• Close to moderate supervision by a more experienced engineer.
• Develops familiarity with departmental design standards, applicable engineering codes and Kiewit Power Engineers policies, guidelines and standards.
• Understands, contributes to, and adheres to the Kiewit Power Engineers Quality Plan requirements and objectives.
• Prepares basic engineering calculations and following standard methods and principles used in similar engineering analyses.
• Prepares basic design sketches for drafting and incorporation into final plans.
• Calculates cost and quantity estimates for project based on analysis of collected data.
• Assists in checking of various Kiewit Power Engineers calculations, prepared drawings and documents as assigned and within established guidelines.
• May inspect construction site to monitor progress and ensure conformance to engineering drawings, specifications, and construction.
• Checks vendor’s drawings for structural construction commodities.
• Submits lessons learned to the Kiewit Power Engineers database.
• Communicates with other disciplines to coordinate design interfacing issues.
• Pursuing a degree in Civil Engineering (with Structural emphasis), or Architectural Engineering (with Structural emphasis) or a degree in Structural Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university.
• Completed a fundamental of structural analysis course which includes computer application.
• Completed a strength of materials course with statics and dynamics application.
• Completed a fundamentals of steel design course and/or fundamentals of concrete design course.
• Should be comfortable with use of basic spreadsheet, database, and word processing programs.
• Must be familiar with basic structural analysis software, engineering software, and basic CADD software for reviewing drafter’s work.
• Highly desirable that the individual will have specific knowledge of SAP2000, MathCad, and Navisworks.