We are looking to hire up to five product managers for the Operations Command and Control (Ops C2) department. There are multiple other product manager positions open within the organization as well, feel free to check them out! Our Product Managers are breaking new ground at the Air Force, changing the way the Department of Defense builds software. We build, measure, and learn; creating war-winning software iteratively. No longer are we building off of multi-year plans with stacks of requirements.
Product Managers at Kessel Run balance user needs, organizational outcomes, and technical feasibility in order to build value quickly while still considering the big picture. Our teams are flat and balanced, with Developers, Designers, and Product Managers working in concert, empowered to build the software we know our warfighters need.
You MUST be a U.S. citizen to apply and must be eligible to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance.
Day In The Life
A typical day as a Kessel Run Product Manager starts with your caffeinated beverage of choice and a team stand-up to align on goals for the day. As a product manager you will write user stories to describe new features Designers have identified through user interviews, oversee the product’s backlog, and validate what the Developers have delivered. You’ll work to keep the team unblocked and de-risked using hypothesis-driven development and are flexible and adaptable to a fast-changing environment.
You will also facilitate meetings and workshops with your team or across Kessel Run including designing experiments, generating assumptions, and aligning on the updated product roadmap. You will define and track product metrics and keep your stakeholders informed about the product’s progress. As the face of the product you will report product wins and blockers. PMs also take assumptions and experiments into the field, traveling around the world to observe and interview our users where they use our products.
Who You Are
- You have at least a few years of product management experience in SaaS software
- You have worked in an agile environment and have successfully shipped working software that users love
- You enjoy breaking down complex products into small, measurable components that you communicate to the Developers by building feature stories and prioritizing the backlog accordingly
- You have experience partnering with engineers, designers, and other product leaders to drive product improvement and new features
- You have owned an outcome-oriented roadmap and prioritized and sequenced initiatives to align with product and business strategy
- You have experience making data-driven decisions and are comfortable with generating and monitoring metrics to deliver insights
- You have experience collaborating with Designers to conduct user research and translate user feedback into actions
- You excel at facilitating meetings, communicating with users and stakeholders, and adapting your communication style to your audience
- You are comfortable traveling to meet users and stakeholders and can represent both the team and Kessel Run during work trips
- You have a growth mindset and love working in a fast-paced agile environment
- You are a U.S. citizen and are eligible to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance (see eligibility requirements here)
This is a civilian position within the Department of Defense. We hire at GS-13 equivalent levels. This means you can expect a salary of $101,585 to $132,064 (depending on experience) for a Boston-based position (pay will be adjusted by location), as well as paid time off, health, and retirement benefits. There are advancement opportunities to promote to senior levels after hiring.
We understand that there is no such thing as the ideal candidate for any job and we believe in empowering people to learn and grow throughout their careers. We encourage any applicant who is interested in making an impact in the Department of Defense to apply to this position regardless of background and qualifications.