Karius is a venture-backed life science startup that is transforming the way pathogens and other microbes are observed throughout the body. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we’re helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, providing industry partners with access to 1000’s of biomarkers to accelerate clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are looking for an extraordinary scientist to develop NGS-based diagnostic assays into robust clinical products. The ideal candidate will design and execute experimental development plans, optimize assays for efficiency and robustness and identify in-line quality control measures that ensure industry-leading data integrity. If you are highly experienced in developing and optimizing novel diagnostic approaches for nucleic acid detection, have worked extensively with NGS workflows and are eager to dive deeply into microbial cell-free DNA, we should talk!
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: Sr. Scientist
Location: Redwood City, CA
- Independently generate and evaluate new methods, technologies and processes.
- Design and execute experiments that ensure efficient and robust protocols with automation compatibility.
- Assist in the design and execution of analytical and clinical validation studies.
- Act as a key contributor within integrated and multidisciplinary teams developing new and improving existing clinical assay.
- Create and maintain SOPs in the context of CLIA/CAP environment.
- Perform calculations, data analysis and visualization using a variety of bioinformatic tools.
- Generate new IP to maintain Karius’ leadership position in the field of infectious disease diagnostics.
- Perform other duties, as needed.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don’t suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: No travel required.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office, lab or clinical environment.
- PhD graduate in biological, biochemical, biomedical or biophysical sciences.
- 2 years relevant experience building robust diagnostic products (can include post-doc experience).
- Demonstrated proficiency taking clinical diagnostic assays through research and development.
- Desire to perform product development in CLIA/CAP or IVD environments.
- Follow GLPs and SOPs, and adhere to all safety and company policies.
- Expertise with RNA- and/or DNA-based Next-Generation Sequencing sample preparation technologies.
- Experience with data visualization and analysis using e.g. python/R/Matlab.
- Must be an excellent communicator and able to summarize key findings, risks in a succinct manner including the ability to present information to stakeholders.
- Ability to anticipate and identify potential roadblocks to meeting goals and identify corrective actions.
- Display a high level of commitment and professionalism and is truly passionate about being at the cutting edge of science and generating the appropriate clinical evidence.
- Exemplary project management skills with the ability to build schedules and mitigate against timeline delays.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and constantly evolving environment.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively with a team of scientists and manage deadlines.
- Able to organize, prioritize, delegate tasks to efficiently move the project forward.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.