GRAPHIC DESIGN ASSOCIATE- 101521
Job Summary and Important Information:
• Reports to Art Director
• 40 hours/week
• Salary: $17.98 per hour plus excellent benefits
• Position is open until filled
How to apply
Please apply for this position through our web application system at www.kclibrary.org/jobs. Candidates for this role should also prepare samples of their previous work for consideration to accompany their resumes and cover letters. These may be submitted as attachments to your application (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .gif, .html, .htm, .jpg, .txt, .rtf, .wpd, .wps, .xls, or .xlsx format not exceeding 5 MB each) or as links to web-based portfolios on your cover letter and/or resume. Applications without portfolio links or samples will not be considered.
What You’d Do:
• Produces high-quality materials that uphold or progress the Library’s working brand standards.
• Serves as a member of a communications team that works in a fast-paced environment, juggling numerous projects at any given time.
• Works closely with the art director to develop solutions to the Library’s marketing needs, offer strategic guidance for promotional efforts.
• Provides excellent customer service to departmental and Library colleagues, representatives from community partner organizations, visiting speakers or special Library guests.
• Assists the Library’s exhibits director with various tasks and deliverables.
• Works with others to adhere to project budget and parameters.
• Demonstrates creativity, responsibility and strong critical thinking skills when working on assignments.
• Participates in planning and executing signature events and special Library programs and activities.
• Works with staff writers and others to ensure content is high quality and meets standards.
• Assists with coordination of delivery and distribution of marketing materials throughout the Library system; occasionally requires a moderate to high level of physical activity, such as carrying heavy boxes or moving large items/equipment.
• Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, fine arts, marketing, or a related field; equivalent professional experience also considered.
• Extensive knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop), Microsoft Suite, and PC operating platform.
• Understanding of pre-press printing process, standards, and operations; ability to work with print vendors on projects.
• Knowledge of current principles in digital design such as social media and electronic communications.
• Exceptional design skills; demonstrated attention to detail and ability to convey messages clearly and effectively.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others.
● Manages workload with an eye towards deadlines and priority projects.
How to Apply:
Please apply for this position through our web application system. We will only be accepting applications submitted through this system. If you are chosen for an interview, the hiring team will reach out to you directly. Once the position is filled, other applicants will receive an email from us. Please note that we cannot respond to requests for application status and generally do not provide interim updates to applicants.
Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
For All Openings:
All persons hired for the Kansas City Public Library must pass a background check for criminal records. You must be at least 16 years old and have completed the 9th grade to work at any of our libraries. Unless otherwise specified, we require a completed application, even for positions requesting a resume and/or questionnaire. The Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity.