Starting salary range DOQ at $45,706 plus excellent benefits.
Discovery Services Manager
09/10/2022 – 4:15pm
Hours Per Week:
Job Summary and Important Information:
Under the supervision of the Discovery Services Manager, the Cataloging Librarian must be excited to work in a dynamic urban public library environment; know and apply cataloging metadata theories and practices; use diverse technologies; and oversee communication with cataloging and processing vendors.
Other Things You Should Know
This is a full-time exempt position. Starting salary range DOQ at $45,706. Position open until filled. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. This position may be classified as a Librarian or a Senior Librarian depending on the qualifications of the selected individual.
What You’d Do:
Reporting to the Discovery Services Manager, the duties of this position include:
- Managing and performing day-to-day cataloging operations.
- Acting as team leader or project manager for special projects as assigned.
- Knowing, developing, and documenting cataloging and processing specifications for outsourcing and internal application.
- Participating in metadata management for both the ILS and OPAC, ensuring accuracy and consistency.
- Helping develop local cataloging practices within national and professional standards and practices.
- Serving the department and library as the main cataloging contact for information and issues resolution.
- Maintaining appropriate vendor relationships and communicating with them effectively.
The requirements of this position include:
- Strong understanding of MARC, DDC, & RDA cataloging standards.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrating moderate to advanced knowledge of ILS & intermediate computer skills; willingness to expand knowledge.
- Demonstrating working knowledge of metadata.
- Demonstrating strong problem-solving skills.
- Possessing strong attention to detail.
- Displaying good decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution preferred
- Two years cataloging experience or other relevant experience required, in a professional position preferred.
- These requirements may also be met by an equivalent combination of education, work experience, and life experience.
How to Apply:
Please apply for this position through our web application system. We will only be accepting applications submitted through this system. If you are chosen for an interview, the hiring team will reach out to you directly. Once the position is filled, other applicants will receive an email from us. Please note that we cannot respond to requests for application status and generally do not provide interim updates to applicants.
Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
For All Openings:
All persons hired for the Kansas City Public Library must pass a background check for criminal records. You must be at least 16 years old and have completed the 9th grade to work at any of our libraries. Unless otherwise specified, we require a completed application, even for positions requesting a resume and/or questionnaire. The Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity.