Technical Sales Representative, Western Region
Jarchem is a leading manufacturer and global supplier of functional, consumer conscious and environmentally-friendly ingredients from plant, mineral and fermentation sources. Our products are raw materials for industries such as Personal Care, Home Industrial & Institutional Cleaning, Food & Beverage, Metalworking, and many more. Since 1978, Jarchem has led the industry with a strong focus on innovation and with custom & confidential work to give clients an advantage in the marketplace.
The qualified candidate would be responsible for developing business to the personal care, cosmetic, and home care markets with attention to other markets as needed. The role is accountable for achieving volume, revenue, and margin growth by targeting & identifying prospects, qualifying & disqualifying leads with questioning strategies, acquiring new customers, and growing share with existing customers via presentations, onsite visits, networking events, tradeshows, phone calls, inbound leads, videoconferencing, and webinars. This role would also work alongside supply chain to ensure the regional warehouse is stocked with properly forecasted materials.
The qualified candidate would also be responsible for developing a strategic, research-based approach to seek out and qualify prospects that align with Jarchem’s mission and product portfolio to increase overall market presence. In addition, the qualified candidate would be responsible for persistently contacting and setting up meetings with previously identified prospects, opportunities, and business to recapture.
This position is 85% prospecting and 15% account management. A successful candidate has a confident hunter mentality and knows the importance of following up on samples, quotes, meetings, and new leads in their territory with urgency. A successful candidate also realizes the importance of making numerous new dials per day that lead to meetings and presentations to get developmental and competitive business opportunities started with R&D, Procurement, and Product Development/Marketing departments at Contract Manufacturers, Brands, and Formulation Houses. The successful candidate also understands the west coast market and all connections involved through brands, contract manufacturers and formulation houses.
The Technical Sales Representative is an individual who is looking to build within the organization for long-term growth. This individual must be a highly creative team player with the ability to effectively determine market trends, qualify leads, give presentations, manage & record the sales funnel/pipeline, close/retain/grow sales, understand profitability drivers, and execute product market strategies. A successful employee must be a tenacious, result-oriented individual with the ability to stay focused on potential opportunities and the necessary detailed follow-up required to on-board an account. Being sales and performance driven with dedication to growing Jarchem’s customer base and brand image will be critical to the success of the individual. A successful employee must also be an organized and structured thinker with the ability to adapt and think proactively in a fast-paced environment.
This position provides a successful candidate with a great opportunity to enter a highly active territory previously only managed through distribution but has extreme growth potential. This position will also collaborate with all departments at Jarchem and offer innovative suggestions to aide with business development and continue Jarchem’s strong and quickly growing Care business!
Candidate must be in Southern California with 25-50% domestic overnight travel.
Top territories include California, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington State.
- Ability to generate, qualify, and prospect Personal & Home Care accounts with Chemists, Product Development, Procurement, Marketing, and any other position at customer level as needed via internet, cold-calling, networking events, tradeshows, SCC events/seminars etc.
- Identifies key decision makers through prospecting research and review of market information
- Identifies prospect’s pains and business requirements to present solutions to start the sales cycle
- Identifies technical needs of R&D and creative needs of marketing
- Responds, engages, and qualifies/disqualifies inbound leads and inquiries urgently in a strategic and organized manner
- Applies questioning strategies to gather information that is critical in qualifying or disqualifying prospects and identifying opportunities
- Schedule/prepares weekly itinerary for calls, virtual meetings, and on-site customer visits
- Pre-call planning for each prospect and account
- Daily dials to new prospects
- Setting prospect and account follow-up plan within CRM
- Uses CRM proactively to get notes into system for future use and accountability
- Schedules conference/video calls, demonstrations, webinars, and in-person meetings with prospects & customers
- Call/present/travel to direct end users, contract manufacturers, indie brands, and formulary labs
- Prepares and submits forecasts, call reports, monthly reports, etc. as well as regular updating of activities, price quotes, customer contacts, follow-ups, and overall account strategy
- Ability to present value with trends, marketing concepts and formulation prototypes to prospects and customers
- Manages Sales pipeline/funnel proactively, recognizing customers’ stage in the decision cycle to get to the next step with defined dates
- Understands customer objectives, needs, and profitability drivers in R&D, Marketing and/or Procurement
- Engages with current customers to expand awareness, educate, ask for referrals, identify new opportunities, and develop account intelligence.
- Provides timely feedback to the marketing, technical and sales teams as appropriate
- Ability to cross sell customers with greater potential into larger sales
- Ability to negotiate supply deals and understand key product values
- Ability to gain back past Jarchem business
- Understands market & territory situations regarding current accounts, prospects, competitors, and suppliers
- Keeps up-to-date and informed on market, industry, and regulatory issues for new products/markets to consider entry
- Works with Product Representatives/Sales Reps/Marketing/Customers/Suppliers/Operations/Internet on any technical information we need to gather for customer inquiries and technical documents & presentations
- Proactively offers suggestions for internal process improvements
- Attendance to most SCC events on west coast to build Jarchem image and to reach prospecting goals
- Regularly attends industry networking events, seminars, and tradeshows; help plan as needed
- Other special assignments and functions as required
- BS in chemistry or science-related degree from an accredited college or university
- 3+ years in the Personal Care ingredient industry with customer facing experience and a strong entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong preparation, planning and organizational skills
- Must have experience presenting technical marketing or formulation information to end users
- Deep understanding of value chain and key players within the personal and home care market space
- Excellent presentation, communication, and organization skills
- Strong listener with professional written and oral communication skills
- Creative individual with a passion to learn
- Must have knowledge of a variety of ingredients such as emollients, surfactants, emulsifiers, actives etc.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time efficiently
- Promotes a strong sense of urgency for reaching goals and key deliverables. Acts without being told what to do.
- Pays excellent attention to detail while being adaptable internally and externally to drive revenue goals.
- Motivated self-starter who can apply their own initiative
- Ability to build/seek strong long-term relationships with customers/prospects
- Excellent team-player
- Drive and hunger to succeed
- Experience working with/training distributors a plus