We look forward to learning more about you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter. With you cover letter, please include answers to the following questions in 3-5 sentences each:
- What interests you about a career in investments?
- Why are you interested in an internship in Fixed Income?
- What skills do you have or want to have to make you a successful investor?
- Describe what makes a good investment?
Janus Henderson offers expertise across all major asset classes, with investment teams situated around the world. These dynamic teams are structured and operate in ways that are best suited to their asset classes and manage products designed to meet a range of investor needs globally. We do not impose top-down house views; instead we allow an appropriate level of flexibility within a controlled environment and encourage the sharing and debate of investment ideas. Our Investment teams are grouped under: Equities, Fixed Income, Multi-Assets and Alternatives.
Overview of the role
At Janus Henderson Investors, the Fixed Income Summer Internship is a highly challenging and rewarding program, providing the opportunity to learn from our industry experts in a dynamic environment. The Fixed Income Intern will support fixed income credit analysis with financial models, industry research, company research, and various special projects. Additionally, at the end of summer you will be responsible for pitching a formal investment idea or presenting a formal project to the fixed income team. The internship will take place in Denver, and typically lasts 10 weeks between June and August.
Duties and responsibilities
- Build detailed financial models including forecasts of revenues, expenses, earnings, free cash flows and valuation targets.
- Perform industry and company specific research.
- Conduct earnings analysis.
- Complete bond relative value analysis
- Perform covenant analysis
- Present a pitch of a formal investment idea or a project to the fixed income team.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned.
Has responsibility for supporting portfolios within the Fixed Income asset class.
Technical skills and qualifications
- Knowledge of Excel required.
- Must have analytical skills with the ability to accumulate, organize and assimilate large amounts of information and make informative insights.
- Working knowledge of accounting and financial modeling
- Progress towards learning other programming skills
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building and customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Previous finance-related internship/experience preferred.
- All candidates must currently be enrolled in a four-year university program with a graduation date in 2023.
In addition to putting clients first, acting like an owner, and succeeding as a team, the competencies for this role include:
- Passionate about financial markets with an interest in investing.
- Basic understanding of Finance.
Ongoing competence in the role to be assessed, in line with applicable regulatory requirements, by:
- Annual performance appraisal
- Completion of all assigned compliance training
At a minimum the role will require you to:
- Place the interest of Janus Henderson’s Clients first, act in accordance with TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) principles
- Understand and follow laws and regulations applicable for your role, seeking the help of your supervising manager or Compliance if additional guidance is required
- Understand and abide by all Janus Henderson policies applicable to your role, and seek support/guidance of the policy owner guidance when required
- You are ultimately accountable for your actions and responsible for seeking further information on any or all of the above as necessary