We look forward to learning more about you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter. With you cover letter, please include answers to the following questions in 3-5 sentences each:
- What interests you about a career in investments at Janus Henderson?
- Why are you interested in an internship about Equity Research?
- What skills do you currently have and what one ones do you want to develop through this internship to make you a successful investor?
- Describe what makes a good investment?
Janus Henderson offers expertise across all major asset classes, with investment teams situated around the world. These dynamic teams are structured and operate in ways that are best suited to their asset classes and manage products designed to meet a range of investor needs globally. We do not impose top-down house views; instead we allow an appropriate level of flexibility within a controlled environment and encourage the sharing and debate of investment ideas. Our Investment teams are grouped under: Equities, Fixed Income, Multi-Assets and Alternatives.
Overview of the role
At Janus Henderson Investors, the Equity Research Summer Associate Internship is a highly challenging and rewarding program designed to deliver the full experience of the investment management business. Each summer intern will work closely with Equity Research Analysts on a specific sector team (e.g. consumer, technology, industrials, etc.) focused on various projects and company/industry analysis, including launching coverage of a stock. The internship will take place in Denver, and typically lasts 10 weeks between June and August. Exceptional summer interns are viewed as potential candidates for our full-time associate analyst program.
Duties and responsibilities
- Perform fundamental research on industries, end-markets, companies, and/or products, under the direction of a senior equity research analyst.
- Conduct rigorous qualitative and quantitative analyses, such as market segmentation, competitive analysis, forecasting, data trends, and primary research.
- Develop expertise in data resources, such as Bloomberg / Factset, to aid research process.
- Build financial and valuation models.
- Deliver presentations to discuss investment conclusions and recommendations to the sector and portfolio teams.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned.
Has responsibility for supporting portfolios within the Equity asset class.
Technical skills and qualifications
- All candidates must currently be enrolled in a four-year university program with an anticipated graduation date in 2023.
- Strong academic record (minimum GPA of 3.5).
- Demonstrated interest in finance, investment management, and/or economics.
- Exceptional analytical and research skills.
- Basic accounting knowledge, including experience with financial modeling.
- Excellent communication skills and desire to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
In addition to putting clients first, acting like an owner, and succeeding as a team, the competencies for this role include:
- Ability to work independently on complex projects. Self-starter with high intellectual curiosity.
- Leadership skills, both academically and extracurricular.
Ongoing competence in the role to be assessed, in line with applicable regulatory requirements, by:
- Annual performance appraisal
- Completion of all assigned compliance training
At a minimum the role will require you to:
- Place the interest of Janus Henderson’s Clients first, act in accordance with TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) principles
- Understand and follow laws and regulations applicable for your role, seeking the help of your supervising manager or Compliance if additional guidance is required
- Understand and abide by all Janus Henderson policies applicable to your role, and seek support/guidance of the policy owner guidance when required
- You are ultimately accountable for your actions and responsible for seeking further information on any or all of the above as necessary.