Are you inspired by invention? Is problem-solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Itemize hardware team. In this highly visible leadership role, you will utilize your design experience and intuition to define and develop a new category of Itemize products. Short-term team responsibilities include designing and building prototypes to explore the potential landscape in partnership with our elite Industrial Design and Experience design teams. We will give you the platform and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling, and fun.
This position is part-time, remote, eligible for college credit received
The Industrial Design Team is searching for an innovative and solutions-oriented industrial designer to join the help design our new innovative product. A successful candidate will have a passion for creating high-performance physical systems, a strong technical problem-solving ability, excellent project management skills, the ability to effectively communicate with and influence decision-makers at all levels, and internal motivation to deliver results in a fast-paced and often ambiguous environment. Itemize culture encourages innovation and expects interns, engineers, and managers alike to take a high level of ownership in solving complex problems.
- Understanding customer needs through user primary and secondary research, curiosity, and customer interaction
- Generating and presenting wide-ranging concepts to meet customer and business needs using brainstorming, sketches, quick mockups, simple CAD, and other techniques
- Balancing our brand DNA and design ethos with project imperatives including cost and schedule
- Working internal and externally to develop and verify the best concepts
- Developing and engineering designs using 3D CAD, fast prototyping, and cross-functional input
- Creating production-level drawings
- Collaborating with suppliers on design for manufacturing strategies
- Applying sound processes to manage uncertainties including prototyping to verify fit, function, adherence to standards, and defining test and qualification plans
- Support and managing projects through regular project meetings, schedules, cost, and uncertainty/risk burndown
- Strong understanding of the product development
- Completion of at least junior year of the degree program is required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program in Engineering (Industrial or Mechanical), Operations Research, or a related field
- Experience using MS Excel, MS Project, AutoCAD, and commercial off-the-shelf technologies such as Tableau, SQL, etc.
- You should have excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills, including the ability to present technical concepts to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong component design, 3D modeling, and drawing skills, preferably SolidWorks
- Experience working with the designs of complex automated material handling equipment and systems including robotics and high-speed manufacturing.
- Demonstrated use of analytical skills to solve complex engineering problems
- Experience developing and launching products for outdoor use requiring structural and electrical performance over the designed lifetime
- Knowledge in Statics and Mechanics of Materials. Understanding and obtaining reaction loads and moments. Calculate stresses from loads applied and identify the full range of failure modes for a given product.
- Experience with solar product development experience
- Strong track record in similar roles with a portfolio of previous work that demonstrates candidate’s abilities.
- Construction and building experience
- Experience with UL requirements, product certification and ISO.