The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, cycling and walking, travel demand management, parking, transport policy, shared mobility, and urban development. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
ITDP’s Global Program is seeking an Outreach Intern. ITDP is working entirely remote because of the ongoing pandemic, and therefore the internship will be virtual. The Global Program is currently undertaking a global campaign, Cycling Cities, to facilitate the spread of cycling in cities around the world. The intern will support the campaign by communicating and coordinating with campaign cities and partner organizations, to help ITDP host capacity building and knowledge exchange events to improve cycling.
The Outreach and Partnerships Intern will report to the Cycling Cities campaign coordinator and will also work closely with the Mobilize Program Manager. ITDP strives to integrate interns into our daily operations, with the expectation that the Outreach and Partnerships Intern will provide meaningful support to our coordination and outreach efforts while gaining valuable experience and education in the field. Therefore, a minimum availability of 20 hours per week is required, but this can be expanded up to 40 hours per week, depending on availability. This position will last from October 2021 to May 2021, and may be extended, depending on academic eligibility. A stipend is available of $400 per week for 20 hours per week or $800 per week for 40 hours per week. A computer will be provided during the internship.
- Maintain effective and timely communication with campaign partners, including government/agency decision makers and practitioners, regarding cycling campaign and capacity building activities.
- Schedule meetings and coordinate campaign-related events involving participants from around the world.
- Participate in internal and external meetings, presentations, etc.; identify and follow-up on action items as needed.
- Develop tools such as surveys, to help ITDP improve our activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience facilitating events or campaigns, especially global in scope.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate program.
- Good communicator with strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage time efficiently, especially to discern and prioritize urgent requests.
- Must be able to work 20 hours a week remotely and commit through May 2021. Hours are flexible between 9am and 6pm, Monday-Friday.
- Interest in cities, sustainable transportation, urban planning, or related areas.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Chinese, or Portuguese a plus.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Outreach and Partnerships Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
ITDP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.