The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) is an independent not-for-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. For 30 years, IHI has used improvement science to advance and sustain better outcomes in health and health systems across the world. IHI brings awareness of safety and quality to millions, catalyzes learning and the systematic improvement of care, develops solutions to previously intractable challenges, and mobilizes health systems, communities, regions, and nations to reduce harm and deaths. IHI collaborates with a growing community to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. IHI generates optimism, harvests fresh ideas, and supports anyone, anywhere who wants to profoundly change health and health care for the better. Learn more at ihi.org.
Our people are our most valuable resource. Our growing diverse global organization has over 200 staff in our headquarters in Boston, our office in Ethiopia and based remotely throughout the United States and across the world. Staff work across many cultures and time zones.
The Compliance & Operations Manager will be responsible for developing and managing processes associated with internal and external compliance, payroll administration, and cyclical HR operations. This position reports to the Vice President, Human Resources.
- Responsible for assuring organizational, local, state, federal, and international HR compliance
- Work with Vice President, Human Resources to address legal questions; liaise with legal team
- Conduct AAP, EEO-1, Vets 4212 and other reporting processes and audits
- Work with Total Rewards Manager on benefits-related compliance, including FMLA, ADA, PFML, COVID-19 requirements, Benefits 5500, etc.
- Establish formal Employee Relations process; serve as primary contact for all complaints, and resolve in accordance with employment law; direct non-formal coaching opportunities to Senior Manager, Talent
- Oversee payroll processing with HR Coordinator and Finance department
- Review and approve biweekly payroll registers
- Conduct payroll and system user access audits
- Distribute W2s and other payroll-related documents
- Assist global teams with biodata forms and other compliance-related documentation
- Assist Operations department with faculty compliance inquiries and audits
- Develop risk registers, business continuity plans, and communications to manage and mitigate risk
- Work with IT and Facilities departments to coordinate and manage compliance processes and trainings for staff (Ethics, Staff Guidebook, Conflict of Interest, etc.)
- Lead efforts associated with policy development, Staff Guidebook review and signoff, etc.
- Manage HR Operations cyclical calendar, assuring all internal and external compliance activities are documented, managed, and completed by deadlines
- Manage HR Operations budget
- Develop, document, and apply standard work
- Regularly track priorities, performance data, and other key metrics to share with internal stakeholders
- Ensure equity is embedded in all processes (and related metrics tracked)
- Recommend and drive improvements that impact the organization
- Report to VP, Human Resources on challenges, opportunities, and recommendations
- Responsible for document management and recordkeeping
- Promote IHI brand, mission, and values
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to address all HR issues with the utmost confidentiality and with decorum
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative
- Excellent time and project management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Deep knowledge of employment law, regulations, and best practices
- Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn HRIS (currently Paylocity) and other IT systems
- Strong relationship development and management skills
- Ability to prioritize/reprioritize as needs change
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Highly energetic, motivated, and resourceful
- Willingness to pitch in when necessary at all task levels
- Ability to focus and produce in a remote environment
- Ability to train other staff members and assure HR cross-training is established
- Commitment to IHI Values
- Commitment to equity, anti-racism, and the improvement of societal systems
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years of progressive HR experience
- Experience with multi-state compliance and employment laws
- Experience with formal employee relations and corrective action processes
- Experience with payroll/payroll systems
- Must have a passion for IHI’s mission and a mission-driven approach
- Global compliance experience helpful
- SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP or PHR/SPHR
At IHI, we are inspired to do our best work and be our best selves by leaning into our values and uniting in our vision to create a future in which everyone has the best care and health possible. We ensure that people feel valued and supported in meaningful ways, as demonstrated in our total rewards package that features competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability plans, FSA plans, matching 401k contributions, discounted MBTA passes, tuition reimbursement, a personal development allowance to support what matters to you, a professional development allowance to support continued learning, respect for personal commitments and flexibility to manage them, generous time off including vacation time, Summer Fridays, a paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day, wellness and wellbeing time, and other special programs to support employee wellbeing.
IHI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, political beliefs, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete our application, please let us know.