Role: Scientist, Computational Biology
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer
Imago BioSciences is seeking a Computational Biologist focused on bioinformatics analysis. The successful candidate will work with a group of multi-disciplinary scientists and apply bioinformatics expertise to support the development of an innovative treatment for myeloid neoplasms. This role is remote.
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Perform variant calling on data generated from whole exome and targeted gene sequencing, and interpret variants to deliver insights
- Develop bioinformatics pipelines by integrating and extending existing bioinformatics and next-generation sequencing (NGS) tools
- Streamline the data analysis with workflow management tools (e.g., Snakemake, Nextflow), and scale up the analysis in the cloud environment (e.g., AWS)
- Partner with research and development teams on project management; provide data-driven recommendations to decision-makers
- Help the company understand FDA policy and guidance in the bioinformatics area relevant to regulations regarding genetic and genomic data
- Ideally, work with regulatory authorities to standardize the bioinformatics workflow in-house and prepare scientific study reports for regulatory submission
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computational Biology/Bioinformatics, or related fields; MS or PhD preferred
- 3+ years of academic/industry experience in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics, or other related fields preferred
- Demonstrated experience in developing bioinformatics tools/pipelines and working with variant calling tools, including GATK and VarScan
- Experience analyzing NGS data from various sources, including exome sequencing, RNA-Seq and ATAC-Seq
- Excellent Linux skills and familiarity with programming and scripting languages (e.g., Python, Shell, R)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience and interest in reproducible workflow development and working in cloud computing environments
- Enjoy working in a multi-disciplinary team
- The job title and level will correspond to the experience and skills of the selected candidate (Associate to Senior).
About the Imago Biosciences:
Our scientific efforts are aimed at developing drugs that improve the management of proliferative diseases of the bone marrow. Our clinical focus is on acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, polycythemia vera, myelofibrosis and essential thrombocythemia. Imago BioSciences has developed inhibitors of the enzyme lysine-specific demethylase 1 (LSD1), which plays a critical role in regulating the growth and development of bone marrow cells. Our first clinical inhibitor of LSD1, bomedemstat (or IMG-7289) is being studied in patients with acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, and myeloproliferative neoplasms including myelofibrosis.
Established in 2011, we have been a fully virtual team of passionate scientists and entrepreneurs.
Imago BioSciences is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.