We are driven by science, motivated by potential, and always pushing forward. Our mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. As the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, we are improving human health in ways that were not even imaginable just a few years ago. Our people and technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, and other emerging markets.
At Illumina, you’ll find a career where every day brings new adventures and challenges. We’ve built a culture rooted in openness, collaboration, and seeking alternative views and perspectives to propel innovation in genomics. Join the journey and apply to our summer Internship program!
About the Internship
Our interns work on relevant projects and programs, right alongside our engineers, scientists and corporate employees. It truly is an opportunity to learn, grow, and become a fully integrated member of the Illumina community. In addition to impactful work, we offer programmatic benefits such as professional development, team building, engagement opportunities with our company leaders, and the chance to connect to our mission through a meaningful volunteer experience.
Illumina’s internship program runs during the summer. To be an Illumina intern, you must be available to work during our program dates. Interns selected for hire will choose between one of the following program cycles:
- Schedule: Monday – Friday, 40-hour/week, paid roles
- Location: As the world and working norms continue to evolve after COVID-19, we appreciate your flexibility. Our Employee Health and Safety team (EH&S) is continuing to monitor the impact of COVID-19. The location (San Diego, CA, Foster City, CA, Madison, WI, Baltimore, MD, or Remote) distinction of your Internship will be based on the EH&S guidelines as well as your Hiring Manager’s location at the time of program. All internship programmatic elements will remain remote and location expectations may vary by role.
- You must be a current student.
- You must be available to work during our program dates.
- You must have the right to work permanently and be located in the United States during the entirety of the internship program.
- We only sponsor F-1 Visa status. F-1 Students must have at least 3 months of CPT or OPT eligibility to participate and work authorization in-hand on the first day.
About the Role
As a Deep Learning AI Engineer Intern you will have the opportunity to gain real work experience and help solve problems and issues that are relevant to our dynamic business.
Please note, this role is available within our Research & Technology organization. Through our interview process, we will align your qualifications and interests with the right team based on their skillset needs. Project and team details will be clarified throughout the interview process.
- Develop and apply deep learning/machine learning algorithms to various areas of interest, including integration of genomic and biomedical data, variant interpretation, detecting machine anomalies, and application to massive datasets in oncology, reproductive health, autism and rare diseases, among others
- Develop bioinformatics algorithms for genomics application
- Develop and apply informatics-based big data techniques to develop new diagnostic tests and assays
- Build strong collaborative relationships with diverse groups within and outside of Illumina.
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs
Qualifications & Skills:
- Proficient in Python and related data science modules such as scikit, pandas, numpy, scipy, etc.
- Experience with Deep Learning modules such as TensorFlow, Keras, Pytorch, etc. is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with next generation sequencing bioinformatics tools such as Samtools, BWA, Picard, Bedtools, etc.
- Self-starter and problem-solver with excellent communication skills.
- Collaborative and agile mind-set will help to ensure success partnering cross functionally.
- Must be a current student enrolled in a PhD program.
- Preferred areas of study: Computational Biology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or any related field.
About the Interview Process
- All communication will take place using the email address you use to apply to this position.
- If selected to move forward in the interview process, the University Recruiting team will reach out to you directly. We take the time to review every application, so we appreciate your patience as you wait to hear back from us.
Typically, next steps in our process include:
- Digital Interview – Top candidates will complete a digital interview using the Hirevue platform.
- Virtual Info Session – After Hirevue is reviewed, those selected for next steps will be invited to an info session hosted by the University team to review program details.
- Panel Interviews with the hiring team – 2-way video interviewing with the team you would be Interning with over the summer. This is your moment to interview us as well and to learn more about your potential project(s)!
- Offer extension – A University Recruiter will contact you if the hiring team has selected you as their Intern.
For additional information on our Internships, please visit our website!
Concerns regarding COVID-19 continue as positive cases are experienced in the communities in which we operate. Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, Illumina requires proof of COVID vaccination for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions) beginning November 1, 2021.At Illumina, we strive to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace by cultivating an environment in which everyone contributes to our mission. Built on a strong foundation, Illumina has always been rooted in openness, collaboration, and seeking alternative views and perspectives to propel innovation in genomics. We are proud to confirm a zero-net gap in pay, regardless of gender, ethnicity, or race. We also have several Employee Resource Groups (ERG) that deliver career development experiences, increase cultural awareness, and demonstrate our collective commitment to diversity and inclusion in the communities we live and work. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you require accommodation to complete the application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf