As a Data Scientist at IBM, you will help transform our clients’ data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development. Work with Best in Class open source and visual tools, along with the most flexible and scalable deployment options. Whether it’s investigating patient trends or weather patterns, you will work to solve real world problems for the industries transforming how we live.
Your Role and Responsibilities
- During your 10-12 week summer internship, you’ll have an exciting opportunity to: Join our IBM North America intern community and meet other IBMers during networking events, special team events and career development activities.
- Meet with a mentor to help envision what your future at IBM could look like.
- Participate on a consulting project or initiative and experience first-hand how we help businesses transform and stay competitive in the marketplace.
- Learn how we focus on our clients’ technical and business needs to co-create solutions that add value.
- Work on a high-performing team to collaboratively deliver for clients. Depending on the project, you’ll have the opportunity to develop an understanding of our client’s future state goals and processes, then define the steps needed and leading technologies to help turn their goals into reality.
- Learn about a client’s industry, tackle new challenges, and learn about how their business and technology intersect.
At IBM, we prioritize ongoing learning, development of technical and core consulting skills, and investing in your personal growth, all grounded in a culture of coaching and mentorship – you’ll get exposure to all that and more as an intern.
Work you could do as a Data Scientist:
Since IBM provides a variety of consulting services to our clients, the specific work and technologies you’ll learn will vary depending on your assigned team. As a Data Scientist intern, you may:
- Work in an Agile, collaborative environment, partnering with other data scientists, engineers, consultants and database administrators of all backgrounds and disciplines to bring analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of predicting behaviors.
- Communicate with clients to understand and define business needs and appropriate modelling techniques to provide analytical solutions.
- Partner to implement and validate predictive and prescriptive models, create and maintain statistical models with a focus on big data.
- Incorporate a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques in your project.
- Assist in writing programs to cleanse and integrate data in an efficient and reusable manner.
- Use leading edge and open-source tools such as Python and R combined with IBM tools and our AI application suites.
- Evaluate modelling results and communicate the results to technical and non-technical audiences.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Track record of academic success.
- Highly motivated with a strong growth mindset – take the initiative to actively seek new knowledge and improve skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically about business, product and technical challenges in an enterprise environment.
- Ability to look at things differently, debug, troubleshoot, design and implement solutions to complex technical issues.
- Strong technical and analytical abilities, a knack for driving impact and growth, and experience with a programming/scripting in a language such as Java or Python.
- Basic understanding of statistical programming in a language such as R, Python, or SAS, SPSS, MATLAB.
- Basic understanding of Cloud (AWS, Azure, etc.).
- Interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking and Agile Development Methodologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and work effectively in an intense team environment, while building direct working relationships across IBM and client teams.
- Demonstrate strong quantitative analysis skills and can derive recommendations informed by data and insights.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Currently in pursuit of BA/BS in following majors: Computer Science, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Cognitive Science, Artificial Intelligence, Business Intelligence, Operations Research, Engineering