Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, Virginia, where scientists pursue fundamental questions in neuroscience and imaging. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) launched Janelia in 2006, establishing an intellectually distinctive environment for scientists to do creative, collaborative, hands-on work. Our integrated teams of biologists, computational scientists, and tool-builders pursue a small number of scientific questions with potential for transformative impact. We share our methods, results, and tools with the scientific community. It is a uniquely innovative and collaborative atmosphere that reflects HHMI’s reputation for excellence.
Advanced imaging techniques at HHMI Janelia Research Campus produce large amounts of image data that require careful voxel-level annotation to extract useful information about the imaged biological structures. Data annotation is an essential component in training automated image processing techniques, such as deep learning, and requires meticulous attention to detail.
We seek individuals with outstanding interest in science and attention to detail to become full-time annotators in a newly launched shared resource team called Annotation & Analytics (A&A). As an annotator you will assist with the annotation of data (images and videos) in order to establish automated data processing pipelines. The annotator will be trained on required technologies. Once trained the annotator will work under limited supervision, collaborating closely with scientists and other support groups. The annotator will continue cross training across different methods and technologies as they are developed. This is a unique opportunity to join a new dynamic team within Scientific Operations in a highly collaborative and supportive research environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gain an in-depth knowledge (through on-the-job training) of using both commercial and custom annotation software tools
- Correctly identify, analyze, and collect relevant data from images and videos as instructed by scientific staff
- Provide feedback to further develop the annotation software and workflows
- Review/correct existing automatically or manually generated annotations
- Communicate efficiently with the manager, team members, researchers, and other support groups at Janelia
- Some college-level training in cellular biology, neuroscience, physics, chemistry, biomedical engineering, or computer science required
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks while paying close attention to detail
- Ability to understand and apply guidelines for data entry
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work independently yet assimilate well into a team
- Proactive, resourceful, and able to generate results according to defined deadlines
- Ability to mentally visualize complex, three dimensional structures
- Ability to think at multiple levels of abstraction
- Proficiency with spreadsheets (Microsoft, Google)
Good to Have:
- Experience in a team-oriented work environment
- Experience in interpreting light and/or electron microscopy images to identify microstructures
- Experience with Matlab, Python, or other programming languages
- Experience working with databases and/or interacting with software developers
As part of your application, please submit a cover letter.
Please note we have multiple openings for this position.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet). Work may involve possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances. Must have good color vision. Must have the ability to sit for several hours at a computer without breaks.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job’s principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word “may,” the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are “essential functions” of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.