This paid opportunity was created for actively enrolled MIT undergraduate students in partnership with the PKG Center’s Social Impact Internship program. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns. Remote work allowed. In-person work is possible if mutually agreed by student and host site.
MIT PKG Center IAP Internship
Our Homeboy Industries
Homeboy Industries began in 1988 and has evolved into the largest gang intervention, rehab and reentry program in the world. Each year, we welcome over 10,000 people who come through our doors seeking to transform their lives. Our clients are embraced by a community of kinship and offered a variety of free wraparound services. Homeboy’s flagship 18-month program is offered to over 450 people each year, and approximately two-thirds of our senior staff are graduates of this program. We focus on healing and job training through our 10 social enterprises so clients can discover their true selves and live healthy lives contributing to the wellbeing of their families and communities and breaking the cycle of intergenerational trauma.
About Homeboy Ventures and Jobs Fund
Homeboy Ventures and Jobs Fun (HVJF) is an Impact Fund that invests in or acquires Small-to-Medium size businesses with the express purpose to create jobs for trainees and graduates of our parent organization, Homeboy Industries. Utilizing a Search Fund model, we identify opportunities that are dependent on human labor, scalable through sales growth alone, potential to win local contracts, and an organizational structure that allows for upward mobility.
Program Development Intern
HVJF is a new branch of Homeboy Industries; thus, the Program Development Intern will have significant input in crafting the operations of the organization. You will report directly to the Fund Manager, as well as have regular updates with the Advisory Board President. Your primary roles will be:
- Data Modeling and tracking: Investigate the latest impact accounting best-practices, create a framework by which we can collect information on our businesses and explore a quantitative way to measure the indirect impact of our organizations.
- Funding Mechanisms: Explore and create a list of creative capital investment mechanisms into the fund that can be deployed within the boundaries of a non-profit fund. Some examples include: Foundational Donations, Impact Bonds, and Corporate Investments/Partnerships.
- Preparation for Diligence Rubric: (as time allows) Help to establish the structure and rubric of the application diligence process. The Ventures and Jobs Fund will require a standardized methodology of evaluating the companies that apply for funding. Unlike other funds, our fund will need to determine the best candidates for growth within the context of Homeboy Industries placing the graduates from our workforce development programs into the business as a labor pool.
- Intern Program Model: You will be the first intern at HVJF, so we will rely on you to help make this program more robust in advance of future cohorts. As we close out our engagement you will use the insights gained from our time together to inform the framework for our on-going internship program.
Skills and Qualifications
- Love of doing deep dives on topics and generating presentations
- Data-driven and detail-oriented, with the ability to quickly collaborate on new ideas
- High emotional intelligence and trauma-informed
- Deep alignment with the organization’s mission and understanding of the complexities working with a marginalized population
Stipend: IAP January – As part of the Social Impact Internship program, students may be eligible for a stipend of up to $2,000.
Commitment: Full-time over IAP; between 120-160 hours.