Who We Are
The Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation’s premier Latino nonprofit membership organization. Founded in 1990, HF supports Hispanic families and strengthens Latino institutions through grantmaking and direct services in the areas of education, health, immigration, civic engagement, economic empowerment and the environment. Values that drive our work include equality, fairness, diversity and empathy.
Who We Seek
The Hispanic Federation is seeking a Senior Director of Education Policy. The Senior Director leads policy, and advocacy initiatives for the Education Program in New York State and supports work at the Federal level and within other states.
The Senior Director also leads Hispanic Federation’s education coalition, supporting the creation of policy agendas and managing advocacy action as it relates to Education. Additionally, the Senior Director will serve as an education policy expert and represent the Hispanic Federation in its advocacy, before bodies of government, and to community and member organizations.
Position Location: New York City
Reports to: Vice President for Programs and Strategic Impact
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive forward all Education Policy analysis and manage education campaigns, ensuring issue campaigns move forward in a tactically smart fashion per the agreed upon policy goals, message, and action plan.
- Lead HF’s efforts to recruit and consistently engage influential and diverse partners for coalition advocacy work.
- Manage HF’s Education Coalition, ensure meetings and retreats are executed and develop policy agendas, messaging, and advocacy action planning.
- Prepare and issue advocacy letters, position papers, testimony, action alerts & press statements.
- Monitor and assess the impact of local, state, and federal developments on the Latino community with regards to PK-12 school, higher education, and adult education issues.
- Compile key data and survey community, member organizations, and experts to inform HF’s advocacy agenda and policy documents.
- Serve as the Hispanic Federation’s spokesperson in policy forums, coalition meetings, including providing testimony before government bodies.
- Oversee the logistics of advocacy conferences, rallies, meetings, conference calls and coalition-related events.
Skills and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum five (5) years of professional experience, a background in policy analysis required, with a strong preference for experience in education policy.
- Minimum 2 years of experience leading policy-informed advocacy efforts, managing relationships with elected officials, and serving as a policy spokesperson to external parties.
- Strong ability to develop work plans, manage budgets, set deadlines, oversee multiple projects, facilitate meetings and plan events, simultaneously.
- Experience working with diverse coalitions and developing cohesive policy and advocacy platforms.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish are essential.
- A demonstrated commitment to the Latino community is strongly preferred.
- Efficient and results-oriented with high energy and exhibit an exceptional ability to work with others.
- Experience working with officials in New York City and across New York State is required, experience working with NYC and NYS Departments of Education is strongly preferred.