The Research Assistant position reports to the Manager of the Biology Teaching Laboratories. Supports the development and implementation of labs for undergraduate instruction in molecular biology, microscopy, cell biology, and organismic biology.
Job-Specific Responsibilities :
The Research Assistant position reports to the Manager of the Biology Teaching Laboratories. Works as part of team in preparing undergraduate lab courses, although tasks may be performed independently and/or without direct supervision. Course subjects include molecular biology, microscopy, cell biology, and organismic biology. The position supports multiple courses at a time. Collaborates with preceptors, teaching assistants, faculty and manager to determine all necessary components for safe, effective lab instruction. Provides material and technical support for undergraduate experiments, including preparing chemical reagents, media, cultures, and consumables. Position may require the pre-running of lab procedures and/or development of new protocols under the supervision of lab instructors or the Manager. Sets up and maintains scientific equipment including microscopes, computers, and audio/visual tools. Provides technical assistance and instruction in the proper use of all equipment. Provides routine maintenance and arranges for repairs when necessary. Maintains clean lab spaces and properly stores lab components and equipment. Purchases chemicals, specimens, and consumable supplies. Considers new equipment for student and/or teaching staff use and proposes ideas to the manager. Monitors chemical and biological waste and arranges for disposal or decontamination. Acts as the lab safety officer for lab classrooms. Must attend safety meetings and stay up to date on all lab and work safety training as determined by lab manager.
- Preparation of reagents, media, and cultures according to approved protocols.
- Aid teaching staff in the development and implementation of lab protocols for teaching purposes.
- Operation of glassware washer, autoclave, and other lab equipment as needed.
- Transport of lab equipment and materials between lab classrooms and buildings.
- Orders supplies for each course as needed as well as general lab/office supplies for Teaching Labs’ staff.
- Performs regular lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Maintains a history of lab protocols and equipment documentation.
- Other duties as may be requested by lab instructors and performed with Manger’s approval.
- Makes periodic reports of duties and status to supervisor.
- Provides additional lab support and coverage for Teaching Labs staff in other locations as needed.
Basic Qualifications :
One to two years of lab experience (relevant course work may count toward experience). Demonstrated knowledge of lab techniques and calculations required.
Additional Qualifications and Skills :
Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related field. General lab safety, hazardous waste and biohazard and blood-borne pathogen experience. Must be self-motivated with independent judgment and trouble-shooting skills, customer service oriented, and have strong oral and written communication skills. Must also be comfortable learning new lab skills. At times, position requires repetitive motions. May be required to lift and transport equipment between locations.