Founded in 1977, GMO is a private partnership committed to delivering superior investment performance and advice to our clients. We offer strategies where we believe we are positioned to add the greatest value for our investors. These include multi-asset class portfolios as well as dedicated equity, fixed income, and absolute return offerings, many of which employ the firm’s proprietary 7-year asset class forecasting framework. Our client base is comprised primarily of institutions, including corporate and public defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, endowments, foundations, and financial intermediaries.
GMO, whose sole business is investment management, employs approximately 470 people worldwide and is headquartered in Boston with offices in San Francisco, London, Amsterdam, Sydney, and Singapore. We manage roughly $70 billion in client assets using a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches that blend traditional fundamental insights with innovative quantitative methods to identify undervalued asset classes and securities. Our valuation-based approach embeds several key factors, including: a long-term investment horizon, discipline, conviction, and a commitment to research. Our research emphasizes not only identifying and exploiting pricing dislocations but also understanding the long-term drivers of return in the markets in which we invest. We are known for our candor in sharing our views with clients and for our willingness to take bold, differentiated positions when opportunities warrant.
The Investment Research Associate is a three-year rotational program in which a successful candidate will work across multiple investment teams at GMO. The Investment Research Associate role is a unique opportunity to work with quantitative and fundamental investors across a variety of asset classes including equities, fixed income, alternatives and asset allocation. We aim to develop and identify exceptionally bright and motivated individuals to build our pipeline of talented investors. You will work closely with experienced researchers, portfolio managers and traders at GMO. Each rotation will be approximately six months in duration although the duration and nature of each rotation will vary based on investment team needs, fit and your skills and interests. Upon joining in June 2022, you will participate in an expansive training program over the course of several weeks in order to gain insight into the firm and the investment management industry. Additional training will be provided on an ongoing basis throughout your tenure in the program. After three years of the rotational program, the goal is for you to be placed in a full-time position with one of our investment teams. You could also be placed to a permanent position in the middle of the three-year rotation.
- Develop and/or redefine investment models and frameworks for understanding the drivers of returns and associated risks across markets
- Complete complex analytical projects
- Interpret company announcements
- Research macroeconomic themes
- Communicate and present investment ideas verbally and in writing with colleagues
- Completed Bachelor’s or Master’s degree by June 2022
- Demonstrated interest in investing through prior internship experience or coursework
- Proven, effective verbal and written communication skills
- Programming experience in at least one of Python or MATLAB; familiarity with SQL
- Demonstrated interest in and passion for investing and strong desire to analyze investment opportunities
- Willingness and ability to take risk, try new things, and share a differentiated perspective
- Analytical and problem-solving skills: must be able to synthesize information, identify the most important elements, and arrive at a conclusion
- This role is ideal for proactive, intellectually curious people, who are able to prioritize, multi-task and strive in a team-oriented, collegial and collaborative environment
- Less than 2 years of relevant experience within the investment industry
1. Submit a Statement of Interest that explains (please keep it to one page):
· Why do you want to pursue a career as an investor?
· Please tell us something about yourself that is not on your résumé
2. Include your current résumé.
3. Include a copy of your official or unofficial transcript.
Selected candidates will be asked to complete a phone or video interview with the manager of the Investment Research Associate program during October/November 2021.
Selected candidates will be invited to a video interview during November 2021.