Teaching Assistant and Laboratory Technician
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) was launched in 2013 with the belief that the ocean represents a new source of opportunity. GMGI is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to addresses critical challenges facing our oceans, human health, and the environment through innovative scientific research and education.
By bringing world-class science and transformative workforce development to Gloucester’s historic waterfront, GMGI is catalyzing the regional economy and demonstrating that there is vast potential in marine science discovery powered by genomics.
GMGI occupies a state-of-the-art marine research institute situated on Gloucester Harbor and is looking to the future by applying innovative genomic technologies to marine science for discoveries that impact fisheries and human health. GMGI also launched a vibrant science learning environment located in Blackburn Industrial Park that is focused on training local high school graduates for jobs as entry-level biotech lab technicians.
Please visit our website for more information: www.gmgi.org
The Teaching Assistant & Laboratory Technician will assist the Lead Teacher and Education Director in the day-to-day educational operations of the Academy ensuring that the classroom and teaching laboratory are prepared for students to achieve a effective learning experience on a daily basis. The incumbent will develop relationships with other GMGI staff, students, parents/guardians, community and internship partners, local high schools, community colleges, and universities to ensure the success of the Academy and its graduates. The Teaching Assistant & Laboratory Technician requires strong initiative, high energy, a commitment to and passion for teaching, attention to detail, drive for success, and a proactive approach to problem solving.
• Deliver instruction of theoretical content and practical training in classroom and laboratory to both vocational learners and Summer STEM participants
• Assist with scoring and reporting of student grades, student attendance, student participation, and provide input regarding student performance
• Prepare lesson materials, teaching schedules, and daily plans
• Improve lectures, content, labs, assessments, policies, handbook, and lab manuals
• Test new protocols and write SOP drafts, when necessary
• Prepare laboratory for daily experiments, maintain chemical, consumable, and equipment inventory
• Manage the routine and periodic maintenance of instruments and safety equipment, and schedule necessary repairs
• Manage orders of materials and equipment in accordance with GMGI policy
• Maintain lab safety manual and chemical hygiene plan
• Assist with community outreach, recruitment, orientation, internship placement, and matriculation
• Serve as Academy liaison to the Alumni Council by coordinating events, assisting class representatives, and developing a leadership system
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, molecular biology, or biotechnology
• 1-3 years’ experience teaching and mentoring students
• Experience working with modern biotechnology instrumentation and methods
• Ability to interpret and present scientific data to individuals with a non-science background
• Sound understanding of accepted laboratory techniques and practices
• Basic knowledge of statistical data analysis
• High energy, can-do attitude
• Self-motivated, capable of working in a dynamic start-up environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Integrity towards scientific research and data quality
• Enthusiasm and commitment to the GMGI mission of innovative science and education
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
The Teaching Assistant and Laboratory Technician will report to the Academy Lead Teacher.
We are proud to offer a benefit package that includes:
• Health and Dental Insurance
• Medical and Dependent Flex Spending Accounts
• Long Term Disability
• Life Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• 403(b) Retirement Plan
• 10 Paid Holidays
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org