Sr. Director EH&S
As a member of the Gilead San Dimas and La Verne Leadership Team, the Senior Director, EH&S leads the Gilead San Dimas and La Verne EH&S function. This senior leader will report to the VP, Operations for San Dimas and La Verne and is integral in advancing the site operations in a compliant and efficient manner. The role provides leadership in EH&S compliance, risk and crisis management. The individual in this role must possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to work collaboratively across all departments at San Dimas and La Verne, as well as various departments throughout Gilead. The Senior Director will be accountable for site level EH&S compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and local environmental and safety regulations.
Knowledge and Education:
- 15+ years of relevant experience and a BA or BS Degree in a relevant pharmaceutical field
- Obtained advanced knowledge of business management or relevant EH&S technical field or possesses active professional certification (e.g. CSP, CIH, CRSP or equivalent)
- Proven Facilities / EH&S management experience at a strategic level
- Effectively participates or leads cross-functional teams addressing EH&S and broader organizational needs
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the demonstrated ability to manage through influence
- Demonstrated ability to establish and execute tactical plans of significant complexity to resolve operational EH&S issues
- Extensive people leadership experience
- Able to influence and collaborate with Senior Management
- Demonstrated ability to manage EH&S personnel, budget, and external resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication
Specific job responsibilities:
- Manages the preparation, organization, and presentation of EH&S Leadership Training; develops and oversees company EH&S training programs for all employees – ensures that the EH&S Handbook is updated.
- Responsible as the Company Representative for all non-GMP inspections and audits by local, state and county regulatory agencies for safety and environmental regulations.
- Directs the development of internal policies, procedures and practices dealing with EH&S based on best available scientific evidence and professional judgment
- Provides technical expertise relevant to pharmaceutical operations in environmental compliance, occupational health, and safety disciplines
- Manages and directs management of site Emergency Management Team, reports any off-site spills or releases to appropriate parties
- Participates in project kick-off and update meetings to ensure all EH&S aspects are duly considered in the early stages of process development; manages and audits EH&S field support as required
- Approves annual environmental reports for distribution
- Manages the development and execution of the site Occupational Hygiene program
- Acts as site lead representative in matters of insurance/risk assessment
- Assists in annual precursor licensing and registration activities
- Oversees environmental compliance, occupational health and safety program at San Dimas and La Verne.
- Ensures all EH&S permits and licenses are maintained as well as ensuring all regulatory reporting is performed on time.
- Maintains inspection readiness and interfaces with EH&S regulatory agencies during audits and inspections
- Directs the site security operations
- Represents the San Dimas and La Verne on the Gilead EH&S and Security Best Practices Councils
- Defines system requirements for specialized EH&S applications that cross geographical boundaries, and serves as lead for cross-functional teams to develop or refine applications