At Gilead, we strive to transform the promise of science and technology into therapies that have the power to cure, prevent or treat disease. We have worked tirelessly to bring forward medicines for life-threatening diseases in the areas of HIV, AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, and inflammation and respiratory diseases. The way we see it, the impossible is not impossible. It’s simply what hasn’t been achieved yet. This is how we built a culture of excellence that is fueled by a passion for improving lives of people around the world. We are growing a diverse team of professionals and we need your unique talents, expertise and background to help millions of people around the world live healthier.
As a Research Associate, you will join a cross-functional research team whose goal is to discover curative medicines for life-threatening diseases. With state-of-the-art research facilities and a team of experienced scientists who are passionate about discovering drugs, the Medicinal Chemistry group at Gilead empowers every chemist to take part in the act of invention. In a 1:1 reporting structure, Research Associates collaborate with their scientific mentor to design and efficiently synthesize molecular targets for evaluation as potential drug candidates. In addition to developing custom syntheses, you will be responsible for generating molecular designs by interpreting and integrating biological data. Interactions with colleagues in biology and other disciplines offer new avenues for development and are facilitated through team meetings where all levels of the department join discussions and contribute ideas.
Responsibilities and Skills:
- With guidance from your supervisor, conduct multi-step synthetic sequences toward key target molecules, using appropriate purification and compound characterization techniques
- Maintain a high level of scientific integrity and laboratory safety
- Apply independent thinking to resolve synthetic and chemical biology challenges
- Plan and select appropriate methods and techniques for performing experiments
- Analyze and accurately record data using Electronic Laboratory Notebooks
- Participate in and present results at team meetings
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- BS or MS degree in Organic Chemistry including synthetic chemistry research experience
- Experience with multi-step synthetic organic chemistry
- Familiarity with modern chromatographic and analytical techniques, including flash chromatography, HPLC, LCMS and NMR
- Familiarity with ChemDraw and literature searching software (SciFinder or Reaxys)
- Strong desire to work in multi-disciplinary teams, learn new skills and proactively solve problems