Gensler’s Digital Experience Design (DXD) practice is positioned at the intersection of physical and digital design and is focused on the creation of immersive experiences, hybrid workplace experiences, and connected urban experiences. Our teams are found across the globe and are formed of seasoned multi-disciplinary generalist and specialists. While our backgrounds are diverse, we have a common passion and commitment for creating innovative and empowering human-centered experiences that improve the world around us.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will be working as part of a global, production-focused team, that facilitates the delivery of immersive and connected experiences for the built environment. As a member of this team, you will help architect, develop, test, deploy, sustain, and document these foundational systems. You will work with a broad range of technologies and perform a diverse set of tasks across collocated and cloud environments.
You will have the opportunity to work on multiple projects with DXD studios across the globe, collaborating with technical and non-technical teams to develop high performance applications in medium to short development cycles. This process will involve technical research, design validation, software architecture, rapid prototyping, testing, development, and sustainment.
To succeed in this role, you will need to be organized, value code clarity over style, be passionate about documentation, enjoy communicating about your work, and be eager to explore new technologies and challenges.
What You Will Do
- Architect and develop scalable and performant production ready backend systems
- Aid in researching, designing, and planning system architecture of large-scale interactive/architectural installations
- Collaborate closely with designers and frontend software engineers to integrate frontend technologies (Web Apps, TouchDesigner, Unreal, Unity, Native Apps) with backend systems
- Develop and sustain infrastructures such as cloud servers, web apps, and site-specific interactive/architectural installations
- Design, develop and sustain REST/GraphQL APIs
- Create and manage remote monitoring solutions
- Build and sustain automation and testing tooling
- 6+ years’ experience building highly available and stable applications
- Experience architecting, documenting, implementing, and sustaining multi-component modular systems
- Experience building and optimizing Node.js applications
- Experience developing and shipping products built on AWS (certification preferred but not required)
- Experience developing and sustaining REST and GraphQL API’s
- Experience with test-driven development
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Responsible, independent, and organized
- A keen problem solver
- A clear and concise communicator
- A passionate self-starter
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.