Generation Bio is innovating genetic medicines to provide durable, redosable treatments for people living with rare and prevalent diseases. The company’s non-viral platform incorporates a novel DNA construct called closed-ended DNA, or ceDNA; a unique cell-targeted lipid nanoparticle delivery system, or ctLNP; and a highly scalable capsid-free manufacturing process that uses its proprietary cell-free rapid enzymatic synthesis, or RES, to produce ceDNA. The platform is designed to enable multi-year durability from a single dose, to deliver large genetic payloads, including multiple genes, to specific tissues, and to allow titration and redosing to adjust or extend expression levels in each patient. RES has the potential to expand Generation Bio’s manufacturing scale to hundreds of millions of doses to support its mission to extend the reach of genetic medicine to more people, living with more diseases, around the world.
We are a thriving, collaborative, creative community of 145 people with diverse talents, beliefs, and experiences headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Delve further. Please visit www.generationbio.com or follow @generationbio. To see additional roles, please also check out https://generationbio.com/careers/
Generation Bio is seeking an energetic and highly motivated Scientist to join the Cell Biology team within the Platform Research group. This lab-based position will play a key role in advancement and performance optimization of our non-viral gene therapy platform. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in development and execution of assays aimed at deciphering the cell biological processes involved in ctLNP uptake, endosomal escape intra-cellular ceDNA transport and its long-term expression. The position will move seamlessly between performing lab-based work to designing/implementing assays in our state-of-the-art cell and molecular biology laboratories. Opportunities to provide scientific leadership in cross functional working groups and manage external studies with CROs and collaborators will also exist in this role.
- Work in cross functional research teams to optimize ctLNP/ceDNA platform elements for targeted, functional cellular uptake
- Apply deep expertise in mammalian cell biology, DNA repair and/or gene editing to design in vitro and in vivo experiments to characterize and optimize long-term expression of ceDNA
- Support development and evaluation of in vivo tools in appropriate animal disease models
- Summarize studies in written reports and oral presentations
- Interface externally with collaborators, and in management of research performed by CRO(s)
- BS degree in a life sciences discipline with a minimum of 5 years of related experience or a MS with a minimum of 3 years of related experience
- Industry experience preferred
- Experience in viral/non-viral gene therapy highly desired
- Highly proficient in
o Cell culture (cell lines, primary cells), transfection/transduction techniques and cellular
phenotypic and activity assays
o Expertise in genome editing assays, NGS methods and data analysis including library
construction approaches and MiSEQ operation
o Protein and DNA/RNA detection and quantification (RT-qPCR, (sc)RNAseq, ELISA,
Western Blot, MSD, Octet)
o Cell-based high-content imaging (confocal imaging, IHC, flow cytometry, RNA/DNA
o Epigenetic analysis assays (ChIP-seq, ATAC-Seq, Bisulfite sequencing) experience is a
- Excellent lab technique and the ability to work independently to design experiments and analyze, interpret, and present data required
- Proactive thinking and ability to multi-task to support multiple projects across platform and disease biology pharmacology
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, team-based environment a must
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.