There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Assist with routine metallurgical and physical analysis and laboratory testing of submitted or self-collected samples of materials used in products and manufacturing processes. Works without continual supervision, but is frequently instructed and checked by the manager.
Assist in Technical Support Activities such as:
- Materials testing, standardization, and reporting in metallurgical laboratory
- Makes reports and recommendations based upon test analyses
- Process modifications and continuous improvement
- Process management and quality documentation (i.e. error proofing, PFMEA, Process Control Plan)
- Production and maintenance support and guidance in heat treating areas (technical troubleshooting, direction, and operator training as it relates to the metallurgical processes)
- Establishes and evaluates testing techniques and procedure
- Planning activities
- Audits metallurgical processes to defined requirements (CQI-9.
- Safely operates, verifies calibration, and maintains laboratory equipment (magnetic particle inspection, band saw, abrasive cut off saw, grinders, polishers, hardness testers, microscopes, image analysis systems, carbon determinator)
- Conducts appropriate chemical, metallurgical, and physical tests of process or production material with the use of precision laboratory equipment.
- Approves material meeting established criteria and reports exceptions.
- Maintains complete and accurate test records.
- Adjusts technical processes based on test results.
- Maintains safety and good housekeeping standards and continuously improves standardized work.
- Inputs raw information into results database and provides analysis.
- Provides written reports of analysis.
- Interacts with various manufacturing database systems.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelors degree in Metallurgy or Materials Science Engineering
- Willing to work in a plant environment
- Able to work a minimum of 40 hours per week
- Knowledge of materials, substances, and their characteristics
- Oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills to work optimally with others
- Analytical ability where problems are somewhat sophisticated
- Basic MS office skills
- Strong work ethic (self-starter, self-motivated, follow through on assignments, results driven)
- Ability to work with people at all levels of the organization
- Comfortable with technology tools (i.e. PCs, Microsoft Office, web-front data bases, PLCs, CNCs, robots)
- Problem solving and resolution (Red X)
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.