Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Stem Cell and Gene Therapy (SCGT) program is recruiting a Research Technician II with a focus on bench research. Duties may include processing and analysis of primary blood and tissue samples for flow cytometry, PCR, sterile cell culture work with a focus on primary B cells.
The position involves additional responsibilities, such as B cell manufacture, culture/analysis of cells infected with HIV and related viruses and data analysis. The candidate should be motivated to participate in sample processing and analysis from preclinical modeling experiments. This position affords the motivated technician an opportunity to develop/utilize both tissue culture and molecular biology skills. The candidate must also be comfortable working with potentially infectious material and biosafety level 2+ techniques.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required/Master’s degree is preferred, in biological science with at least two years of laboratory experience.
- Candidates with excellent organizational and communication skills (written and oral) plus an ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team environment are encouraged to apply.
- To be successful in this position, the candidate must be highly motivated, possess a high level of initiative and attention to details.
- Capable of working independently on multiple projects in a team environment.
- Experience with cell culture, multicolor flow cytometry, and/or molecular biology techniques e.g. quantitative PCR is strongly desired.
- Previous experience using primary B cells, Crispr-Cas9 editing and ELISA is desired, but not required.
- Knowledge or experience maintaining and ordering materials is preferred in addition to excellent record keeping skills. The ideal candidate would be familiar with computer programs including Microsoft
- Office, FlowJo, Graphpad Prism, and/or similar products.
Fred Hutch has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations.
As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination or initiate the accommodations process before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.