Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
A Post-Doctoral Research Fellow position is available immediately under the guidance of Dr. Matthias Stephan, M.D., Ph.D. , (visit the lab webpage by clicking here) to explore the fast-developing and highly interdisciplinary field of immunobioengineering. Using next-generation immunomodulatory synthetic materials, the Post-Doctoral Fellow will develop new approaches – beyond existing T-cell-based therapies – to therapeutically manipulate the immune system against cancer. (https://www.nature.com/magazine-assets/d41586-017-08701-8/d41586-017-08701-8.pdf) The successful applicants will fabricate stimulatory biomaterial devices, drug delivery systems and bioactive substances and test their therapeutic potential in preclinical tumor models of adoptive T-cell therapy. The successful candidate will be a scientifically driven, well organized self-starter.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center provides a highly interactive and supportive environment for junior investigators to grow and develop their future career; it consistently ranks in the top 20 best places to work for postdocs, as surveyed by The Scientist.
- Designing mRNA nanoparticles for the in situ programming of disease-specific immune cells
- Designing implantable biomaterials to locally deliver and functionally support tumor-reactive T cells.
- The position will involve the fabrication of nanoparticles, repeated administration into mice, immune phenotyping, bioluminescent tumor imaging, but cell culture, cell sorting, flow cytometry, intercellular staining, transfections, ELISPOT and Chromium Release Assays
- Recent PhD in immunology or a related field.
- The ideal candidate will work well in an interactive scientific environment, be intellectually curious, and have experience in all aspects of cellular immunology.
- Critical skills include extensive animal science knowledge and extensive experience with animal handling, direct, hands-on experience with, and extensive knowledge of, cellular immunology, oncology, cell-based immune functional assays, flow cytometric analysis and isolation of transformed and primary cells, modulation of tumor microenvironments, and relevant statistical analysis.
*Please include a cover letter describing your interest in this opportunity and suitability for the role with your application.
Fred Hutch has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations.
As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination or initiate the accommodations process before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.