Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
We are seeking a Data Coordinator Lead for the Chapuis Lab, responsible for:
- Managing laboratory sample inventories, and clinical trial data.
- Categorizing and tracking clinical and research data from various sources
- Performing standard and investigative laboratory work in support of scientific research by, working with human tissue, gathering, analyzing, compiling, and verifying the accuracy of research data; and compiling them in both written and visual formats.
This position will work under the Principal Investigator and Research Lab Manager.
Analyze and Verify Data:
- Data Specialists typically begin any data conversion process by conducting a thorough data analysis of a clinical trial samples and data, cataloging and recalling information in an organized and reproducible manor. They will research data sources and make any corrections to existing data as needed to ensure accuracy of the information being recorded.
- Data Specialists must consistently provide reports regarding the progress of a patient samples and research data. They must present reports covering workflow and workflow disruptions, exceptions, and results. Clear communication and transfer data to key stakeholders is imperative.
Organize and Catalog Samples:
- This role straddles the digital and physical clinical research worlds. Some physical sample coordination, management, and organization is needed in to ensure database is accurate and updated.
Provide Technical Support and Assistance:
- This individual will train other clinical and research staff in the use of the database or software system. Data Specialists also maintain databases and answer any questions users might have regarding the system.
- Prepare and maintain and manage clinical database for sample and data tracking
- Maintain laboratory records and compile data on experiments and assays
- Ensure rapid resolution of issues/problems using appropriate internal and/or external resources. Track and manage issues escalating to the appropriate level in a timely manner.
- May participate in development of protocol/study from draft protocol to optimize collection of accurate and high-quality data.
- Work with project sponsors, stakeholders, and research team members to define project requirements, scope, risks, organization, and approach.
- Assist in development of Case Report Forms (CRFs) for assigned studies. Assist in the design of the protocol/study specific database for assigned studies.
- Assist in the maintenance of the study database including routine revisions or additions to include the design and/or modification of routine and existing study database edit check programs for assigned studies.
- Perform and modify documented protocols and assays
- Operate and carry out basic maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Prepare and present written or oral progress reports concerning studies including assembly, organization, and interpretation of data
- With lab experience may evolve to design of experiments; and ultimately be responsible for the performance of an independent research project
- Conduct literature reviews to assist in determining most suitable methods to be used in research
- Depending on bench experience assist in publication of results by reporting on experiments they have conducted and organizing figures
- May perform statistical analyses, write computer programs, or
- Perform other duties as required
- BA/BS in Biology or a related field and relevant research experience in a lab environment required.
- 3+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical/clinical research environment as Clinical Data Coordinator/Clinical Data Manager.
- Demonstrated expertise in relevant clinical data management activities.
- Familiarity with all phases of clinical trials and ability to adapt to study requirements.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment within generally defined practices and policies. Shows good judgment in interpreting guidelines and when to seek support.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills. Self-motivated and able to work independently using strong organizational, project and time management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient with MS Office software.
- EDC experience preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal skills, be well-organized, pay exquisite attention to detail, have demonstrated proficiency in running pre-clinical trials, skilled in collecting and analyzing data (e.g., GraphPad Prism), and adept in establishing and managing laboratory databases
- The ideal candidate will have evidence of extreme competence at the while also excelling at time management, organization, and sample management.
Fred Hutch has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations.
As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination or initiate the accommodations process before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.