Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Data Coordinator II will work with the research team to collect and abstract clinical data from medical records, research charts, and other sources and work closely with the physicians and research staff in providing administrative, technical and data entry support for research projects.
This position must be able to work independently on multiple research projects. This position requires daily interaction with physicians, other health care personnel (e.g. nurses, patient care coordinators, patient service representatives, and medical assistants), pharmaceutical company sponsors and any other groups integral to the successful completion of the data needs for the research project. This position is supervised by and reports to the Research Manager or Research Coordinator.
- Abstract patient/participant data from medical records and other sources and enter into study electronic data capture system in a timely manner, according to protocol reporting guidelines and contracted timelines.
- Maintain databases and shadow charts with source documentation. Demonstrate knowledge of database definitions.
- Identify procedural problems and communicate to the study coordinator, PI and research manager as appropriate.
- Resolve and answer data queries in a timely manner, in collaboration with the study coordinator as applicable.
- Develop study-specific data collection tools in accordance with database requirements.
- In collaboration with the study coordinator, track and maintain research subject schedules based on complex protocol-specific requirements
- In collaboration with the Investigator and study coordinator, anticipate and plan for data deadlines
- Perform routine audits to ensure quality and completeness of the data submitted. Identify missing data and correct deficiencies.
- Serve as a resource to investigators, subjects, and collaborating physicians, service areas and organizations with questions about study procedures and operations.
- Assist study coordinator with scheduling monitoring visits and completing associated tasks.
- Prepare research sample collection kits, deliver to collection sites, and assure samples are collected and routed appropriately.
- Assist with completion and collection of regulatory documents
- May interact with patients at study visits to collect data.
- Perform other duties to support the research team, including archiving records of closed studies; maintaining shared drive files; requesting medical records from outside providers.
- Keep knowledge and skills current by completing mandated training and attending meetings with the study team and the Consortium, such as the monthly coordinator meetings, disease group meetings/rounds, faculty and administrative presentations, and other opportunities of interest.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- One to two years of experience working in healthcare environment with oncology and/or research experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, including the ability to prioritize tasks, and work as a team player toward shared goals.
- Must be able to independently problem solve and locate resources.
- Strong computer skills and experience with data entry and databases.
- Competency in Microsoft Office software.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to organize work.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to adapt and respond appropriately to competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of FDA, GCP, and NIH requirements preferred.
In addition to job duties at Fred Hutch, this position also requires access to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, which requires COVID-19 vaccination without exceptions.
Accordingly, as a condition of employment for this Fred Hutch position, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.