The Fraunhofer USA Center for Manufacturing Innovation (CMI) is looking for a full-time, hands-on Applications Engineer to join its Energy Systems research team.
In this role, you will contribute to world-class research in energy technology related to energy efficient buildings, distributed energy resources (DERs), and sustainable energy systems. Your field-testing work will generate critical data and insights about energy-consumption patterns, building equipment, DER operation, and technologies that inform energy policy and investment decisions, and ultimately help drive a sustainable energy future.
As an Applications Engineer, you will prepare and deploy data acquisition systems to rigorously evaluate emerging energy technologies in residential, commercial, and industrial facilities. You will also contribute to development and application of data analytics and modeling toolsets. Our ideal candidate has experience working with a suite of DER technologies, such as grid-interactive efficient buildings or building systems, solar generation, and/or energy storage. Data from these studies are used to evaluate and model the real-world performance and behaviors of energy systems and assess their energy savings and commercialization potential.
This is an opportunity to work with one of the world’s leading research organizations to address critical challenges related to the deployment of sustainable energy technologies. You will be a key part of a dynamic team that shares a commitment to engineering excellence, combined with excitement about sustainable energy technology.
· Lead instrumentation, measurement, and analysis of field data for applied R&D pilot projects related to energy use in and DER integration with buildings
· Develop, fabricate, test, and deploy custom, high-accuracy data acquisition and sensing solutions (to measure power, temperature, humidity, occupancy, etc.) at remote field test sites
· Interface with contractors and customers to deploy, troubleshoot, and maintain data acquisition systems at test sites
· Support implementation of remote data collection infrastructure
· Contribute to development of software toolsets for data collection, cleaning, and analysis.
· Support building performance data analyses, including model development and application of models for the performance of building equipment and systems
· Contribute to technical reports, articles, and presentations to communicate project findings to clients and stakeholders
· Willingness to travel for field testing (up to 50%, much of it local), depending on project needs.
· Lead and contribute to proposals to develop, test, and evaluate the performance and control of grid-interactive buildings, renewable generation, and energy storage
Desired Experience and Education:
We are looking for an individual with a diverse skillset that ideally blends a combination of electrical engineering, electromechanical design, and software integration experience. Our ideal candidate is a self-driven individual who meets many of the following requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or related discipline with 4-6 years of post-graduate experience.
· Aptitude for deploying data acquisition systems, in both field and laboratory environments, with high attention to detail
· Experience integrating or testing hardware and software technologies in an applied R&D setting
· Working knowledge of several of LabView, Python, MATLAB, or SQL
· Experience configuring and troubleshooting wireless sensor networks, including familiarity with implementing cyber-security best-practices in wireless networks
· Familiarity with the operating principles of electric equipment and building systems
· Familiarity with the operating principles of DER technologies, such as solar PV or energy storage systems
· Demonstrated aptitude in electromechanical design and fabrication
· Knowledgeable in renewable and electrical safety and performance standards, such as UL1741, IEC61850; familiarity with the National Electric Code
· Ability to work concurrently and independently on multiple projects
· Ability to accept a high degree of responsibility in a team-based organization
· Passionate about sustainable energy, renewables, and the power of technology to effect positive change
· Effective communication skills
About Fraunhofer USA CMI:
The Fraunhofer USA Center for Manufacturing Innovation (FhUSA CMI) is an applied research and development laboratory. The Energy Systems Group accelerates the adoption of sustainable energy technologies through scientific research and engineering innovation. Our staff has expertise in smart energy-efficient buildings, grid technologies, and solar photovoltaics and collaborates on R&D projects with private companies, government entities, and academic institutions. FhUSA CMI is part of Fraunhofer USA, a 501(c)(3) non-profit contract R&D organization, and affiliated with Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Europe’s largest contract R&D organization.
Fraunhofer USA, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer of Individuals with disabilities, protected veterans and is a federal contractor.