We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer II to be responsible for designing the mechanical components comprising the core battery module and support systems in Form Energy’s long-duration energy storage system. This role will focus on converting conceptual designs of components and assemblies in a detailed mechanical design, with emphasis on design for manufacture and assembly. The ideal candidate will have direct experience designing components for high volume production and exhibit an ability to creatively solve mechanical design challenges and subsequently impart rigorous design processes to ensure product success. Further, this role will be responsible for defining requirements for mechanical components in the battery module and subsequently designing components that meet those requirements. The Mechanical Engineer II must be comfortable working on highly interdisciplinary teams and will be expected to work across disciplines to define requirements and inform qualification testing. Finally, this role will be deeply involved in prototyping efforts of new battery module and system designs.
What You’ll Do:
- Drive component level design from conceptual design stage to high volume manufacturing readiness while meeting stringent cost targets
- Develop functional mechanical requirements for battery and system components in collaboration with chemists, materials scientists, chemical engineers, system engineers, and application experts
- Down-select concepts through rigorous analysis of engineering mechanics, material selection, and manufacturing feasibility.
- Support the design, build, and test of prototypes; evaluate prototype performance and inform design revisions using data-driven decision making
- Aid in specifying prototyping equipment for Form Energy’s growing office in the Bay Area
What You’ll Bring:
- BS degree (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering, or similar
- 4+ years of industry experience in mechanical design or manufacturing in a product development setting
- Experience designing and releasing components for production by a contract manufacturer
- Proficient in computer aided design (CAD) and geometric tolerancing and dimensioning (GD&T)
- Experience engineering components and assemblies for complex integrated systems (i.e., robots, automobiles, engines, turbines)
- Machining, fabrication, and welding experience a plus
Form Energy is committed to equitable compensation and we offer a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. We offer a 401k and all employees are granted stock options. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.