We are looking for a Materials Engineer II to investigate and test new materials for long-duration energy storage systems. This is a hands-on role in which you will prepare, characterize, and test new electrode materials. The Materials Engineer will develop and coordinate characterization efforts using internal instruments, as well as manage relationships with external characterization contractors. This position will work closely with materials processing and prototype development engineers to enable validation and scale up of electrode designs. This is an opportunity to have a direct and daily impact in an exciting energy technology startup.
What You’ll Do:
- Create, validate, and author standard operating procedures for new, routine characterization efforts
- Manage testing pipeline and improve the experimental protocols to enable higher-throughput data collection
- Perform root cause failure analysis to understand and mitigate electrode degradation and decay mechanisms
- Interpret ex-situ characterization (i.e., SEM, EDS, ICP, XRD, BET, TGA, DSC) data and collaborate with external specialists and consultants to accelerate materials development
- Evaluate component-level performance using custom designed test apparatus and electronic test equipment
- Collaborate with prototyping team to implement rapid materials design changes
- Generate new concepts for electrode designs and optimize electrode compositions to meet target cost and performance metrics
What You’ll Bring:
- BS or MS in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- 2+ years experience with a lab-based materials research project or product development effort (e.g., full time industrial position, internships, undergraduate research experiences)
- Ability to perform and interpret data from chemical characterization techniques (i.e., XRD, ICP, XPS, SEM, EDS)
- Direct experience specifying experiment design, testing hypotheses, and interpreting results
- Ability to teach and mentor co-workers on new methods and practices
- Familiarity with common electrochemical techniques (e.g., CV, EIS, RRDE) and battery testing (constant current, constant voltage, constant power) is a plus
- Comfortable analyzing datasets with scientific programming languages, such as MATLAB, Python, or Mathematica preferred
Form Energy is committed to equitable compensation and we offer a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. We offer a 401k and all employees are granted stock options. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.