First Book is temporarily working remote due to Covid-19 & has a mandatory vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 525,000 educators nationwide with an additional 750 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the Position: First Book is a leader in both philanthropic and public-private sector partnerships, focused on removing barriers to education for kids in need. First Book is looking for a creative, entrepreneurial individual to lead its Strategic Alliances team focused on corporate partnerships. The position helps develop and oversee award winning cause- marketing initiatives and program activations for the organization’s corporate partners.
The Vice President will play a principal role in leading a team managing First Book’s corporate relationships in a dynamic, fast-paced organization. Responsibilities include strategy development, relationship building, project management, budgeting, partnership marketing, and team management. The Vice President should possess extensive experience in cause-marketing, corporate partnership development and/or consulting with the private sector. Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong interest in fundraising, solid business writing and presentation skills, excellent verbal communication, experience with pitch formation and delivery, creative and bold thinking, exceptional critical thinking skills, and a passion for corporate social responsibility.
The Vice President will work most closely with colleagues on the Strategic Alliances team, as well as collaborate extensively with team members across the organization to ensure that organizational needs are met through corporate partnerships. The Vice President will report directly to the SVP of Strategic Alliances/Corporate Partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Leading a team responsible for the cultivation, growth, and renewal for First Book’s corporate partnerships
• Developing and managing multiple complex and diverse cause- marketing and corporate funded programs, from inception to implementation
• Keep abreast of philanthropic trends in social impact, ESG, and corporate social responsibility
• Bring creativity and a customer-service mentality to all corporate relationships
• Lead reporting for all relevant partner and opportunity updates within Salesforce
• Lead and contribute to ideation sessions
• Undertaking innovative special projects, as directed by the SVP of Strategic Alliances/Corporate Partnerships and Executive Team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• Demonstrated track record in account/ project management, with a minimum of seven years’ experience
• Demonstrated management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, manage performance and help with conflict resolution.
• Strong relationship management skills for dealing with range of corporate partners and industries
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with the internal staff and external clients in the organization. Excellent writing and presentation skills
• Fast learner with a strong team-focused, collaborative mentality
• Be self-motivated and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced multi-tasked environment as a member of a vibrant team.
• Be passionate about making a tangible, measurable difference
• Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Exceptional organizational skills and time management required. Must have the ability to meet designated deadlines.
• Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
• Be able to travel, as needed, up to 40% in peak partnership activation periods
• BA/BS required; MBA or M.A. in a related educational field preferred
• Minimum of 7 years’ in related experience
• Prior work experience in private sector is a plus
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment – can work from home and office
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org / 202-499-5935.
See what First Book has been up to!: