First Book is temporarily working remote due to Covid-19 & has a mandatory vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 510,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
• Problem solving and documentation of current and new systems in both physical and virtual environments;
• Performs application of patches and upgrades for Windows/ Mac / Linux environments;
• Performs data management services, server tuning, directory services maintenance;
• Plans, deploys, and documents new servers, printers, devices, and services;
• Increase reliability and enhance efficiencies by implementing 3rd party tools and scripts;
• Ensures compliance to security standards, policies and guidelines across the First Book’s network;
• Provides business continuity through thorough back-up and restore procedures, and periodic testing of outage scenarios;
• Assists in planning and deployment of disaster recovery procedures;
• Administers and maintains a Windows/Linux-based server network, with a combination of physical and virtual environments;
• Installs, configures, troubleshoots, and maintains server-based applications running on the network including Office 365, Exchange 2010, Jira/Confluence, MYSQL, Symantec Cloud Services, Venyu Backup, Active Directory Services 2008 and 2012, NGINX, PHP-FPM, DNS and SSL Certificates;
• Update servers and desktop systems to maintain secure environment.
• Support for desktop resolution issues covering Windows/Mac users (Desktops, Laptops, Mobile Devices including cell phones);
• Installs, configures, and troubleshoots group policy and administrative templates;
• Configures and troubleshoots Windows and Visual Basic scripting;
• Manages access to network resources including network accounts, mailboxes, VOIP phones, etc;
• Perform new user orientations for system access and usage.
• Configure, deploy and troubleshoot VOIP phones.
• Perform user, file, printer and wireless administration for user accessibility;
• Coordinates and works with outside vendors to resolve problems and issues with hardware and software products used by the First Book;
• Assists in creating documentation for technology workshops and seminars, conduct and/or assist with technology workshops and seminars;
• Works with IT Staff to continually expand and improve departmental skillset;
• Maintains confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding users and First Books interests
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• Ability to apply creative thinking to technology issues
• Curiosity to learn about new web technologies and approaches
• Have a record of completing tasks independently and working in small teams
• You are a self-starter, with a positive attitude and willingness to work on a variety of tasks and projects
Education and/or Experience:
• College degree or equivalent work/technical experience
• 3-5 years IT experience
• Excellent communication and analytical skills
• Close attention to detail, and
• Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, on multiple projects
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment – can work from home and office
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits