First Book is temporarily working remote due to Covid-19 & has a mandatory vaccination policy (medical and religious exemptions permitted)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 510,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position:
The Accounting Coordinator is an essential part of the First Book team, providing critical support for the Accounting department while constantly interacting with other departments and members regarding First Book’s receivables and payables. This position will provide some support for payables but will mostly focus on all aspects of the receivables process of the organization including order release and collection of unpaid invoices. The position demands the highest attention to detail, analytical and creative thinking, and basic understanding of accounting principles, good understanding of Excel, and excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Sorting and processing order payments received via lockbox, credit card, or other electronic means such as ACH.
• Release paid orders through our e-commerce platform daily and in a timely manner.
• Monitor Marketplace customer account details for non-payment, delayed payments, and other irregularities.
• Research and resolve payment discrepancies.
• Request refunds for over-payment of orders, out of stock, or sales tax issues.
• Communicate with customers via mail, phone, and email in an effort to collect and settle outstanding accounts.
• Track any payment or order issues so they can be addressed or forwarded to the appropriate department for resolution.
• Provide support for validation of sales tax exemption certificates through online tool CertCapture.
• Fill out vendor or other required forms by First Book Members.
• Assist with the creation of acknowledgement letters and other mail merges for corporate donations.
• Assist by entering payables/invoices in the accounting system.
• Assist in the preparation of annual audit.
• Other tasks as assigned to support to the Accounting Department including monitor and resolution of cases via Salesforce.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be detail-oriented & be respectful of confidentiality
• Strong working knowledge of computerized accounting software, including Salesforce and Excel.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and possess excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Be self-motivated and energetic.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills and be willing and skillful in interacting with a wide variety of people. Pleasant and patient phone manner.
• Must be knowledgeable in the use and operation of standard office equipment.
• Must be dependable and punctual.
Education and/or Experience:
• 2-3 years of accounting/finance related experience required. Bachelor’s degree preferred, however Associates degree with appropriate work experience accepted
• Excellent organizational, communication & customer services skills
• Working knowledge of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
• Hybrid work environment (work from home & in office)
• Dental & medical insurance
• Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
• Vacation leave
• Sick leave
• Eleven Annual Holidays
• 401K and employer matching pension contribution
• Transportation benefits
Candidates are invited to submit a resume, and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please contact us at 202-499-5935 / email@example.com .