Open Date: September 24, 2021
Closed Date: October 24, 2021
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole. Our experiments – DUNE, CMS, DES, LSST, and others – produce huge and sophisticated datasets that require cutting-edge artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms and hardware implementations to study.
We are seeking two (2) Artificial Intelligence (AI) Associates to work on data science and AI projects associated with several large-scale science projects at the laboratory. Successful participation in these projects will involve collaboration with science teams in collider, neutrino, and cosmological physics, as well as with research partners in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, and mathematics. Associates will build strong portfolios of work demonstrating capabilities in AI and data science for large scale physics projects.
The appointment will be for a one-year term with the potential of an extension thereafter.
- Develop and apply machine learning (ML), AI, and data science algorithms for physics research projects at Fermilab under the supervision and direction of project Principal Investigators (PIs).
- Develop applications and interfaces for ML and AI algorithms in physics analysis code.
- Communicate and coordinate with other personnel involved in the research, including those from non-computing disciplines.
- Perform work and duties in a manner conducive to a good team environment.
- Report on progress regularly.
- Abide by and be responsible for performing all activities in accordance with all environmental, health, and safety regulations and practices.
- Contribute optimally within a diverse workforce and uphold Fermilab’s dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree preferred in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, or other applicable discipline.
- 0-2 years’ relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated skills (or ability to learn quickly) in any of the following: programming (especially Python), data science, machine learning, and statistics.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Strong desire to learn new computing platforms.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is critical to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.