Transportation Engineer/Planner Intern
At Fehr & Peers, we are a team of entrepreneurial individuals empowered to collaborate, innovate, and develop creative solutions that improve communities. We provide transportation planning and engineering services associated with all modes of travel. Our passion combined with our business strategy creates opportunities for personal and professional growth.
About the Role
Interns demonstrate the passion, experience and skills necessary to achieve success, and often have the desire to pursue a long-term career as a transportation consultant. Interns receive support and guidance from all staff in the office, based on project assignments. Interns will:
- Analyze/solve complex transportation planning or engineering problems
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, including in a community engagement setting
- Use software effectively and make timely and informed recommendations
- Work on a variety of projects, which may include traffic operations simulations, bicycle and pedestrian plans, freight and goods movement planning, traffic impact studies, travel demand modeling, transit planning, and regional transportation plans
Our interns take on similar tasks and responsibilities as a full-time entry-level staff. Internships are available for the semester, summer, or year. Work schedule will be determined based on your availability and the office’s needs. The pay can range from $22-$27, this is dependent upon experience level of the candidate, office location market average, and this is subject to change every year. Supervision and feedback are provided by the Office Manager on a regular basis through check-in meetings or on the spot feedback, and each staff will have opportunities to work with Junior and Senior level staff on projects to aid in their career development.
You thrive in an environment that encourages initiative, vision, autonomy, and creativity. When facing unusual or unfamiliar scenarios, you see opportunities for exploration. You seek solutions through teamwork and collaboration. You have:
- Knowledge of transportation planning/engineering principles and practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal relationship skills, and presentation skills
- A passion for partnering with and serving the local communities in Long Beach and surrounding cities
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in progress in transportation or civil engineering; transportation/urban planning; or a related field (e.g. geography, public policy, economics, sociology, statistics, anthropology, graphic design)
- Proficiency in at least one of the following: Microsoft Excel, the Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, ArcGIS, statistical software (Stata, R, SPSS) traffic operations software (VISSIM, Synchro), design and drafting software (AutoCAD, MircoStation), or travel demand modeling software (TransCAD, Cube)
- Spanish, Khmer, Tagalog, or Vietnamese language fluency a plus
About Fehr & Peers
Fehr & Peers has specialized in providing multi-modal transportation planning and engineering services to public and private sector clients since 1985. Our commitment to the firm’s unique culture is unparalleled in our industry. Partnering with staff to create opportunities for development provides continuous career growth. We consistently seek and encourage feedback to identify areas for individual, team, and firm-wide improvement. Our robust, internally-funded research and development program enables us to develop new analytical methods and advance the state of the practice. We are very proud of the impact our commitment has had on the communities we have been fortunate to serve.
Fehr & Peers offers competitive compensation. Beyond that, we’re an extraordinary place to work. For additional information on our company, visit our website at www.fehrandpeers.com.
Please apply by completing an online application for our internships, including submitting a cover letter and resume at http://www.fehrandpeers.com/careers/. Please specify the Long Beach office in your location preferences.
Fehr & Peers is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment in the workplace. We welcome applicants of diverse backgrounds, and hire without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, disability, genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or any other characteristic protected by law.