This position is for RECENT GRADUATES. The DOT Recent Graduates Program provides a one-year, entry-level developmental assignment designed to lead to a career in the civil service.
This trainee position is located in the Highway Design Branch, Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division (EFLHD), in Ashburn, VA. You will support the Division as a designer responsible for the development of plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E) packages relative to the design of highways and bridges. Learn more about this agency
As a Civil Engineer-Designer trainee, you will learn to:
- Complete highway design engineering on simple to moderately complex projects and perform activities on more complex projects with appropriate oversight and guidance.
- Generate and evaluate geometric design alternatives and develop sound design concepts.
- Develop Plans, Specifications, and Estimates (PS&E) packages that clearly define the work, are biddable, and emphasize context-sensitivity, safety, and constructability.
- Interpret and apply the laws, regulations, policies, and guidance related to legal aspects of highway design.
- Identify, recommend, or use appropriate technologies for gathering data during PS&E development.
- Attend meetings with supervisor/designated employee on project highway design matters that involve a wide range of external contacts, including technical representatives of client agencies. Prepare written field review and meeting reports and other technical reports.
The ideal candidate is an engineer with the education, skills, and experience necessary to design and develop roadway construction projects and provide technical assistance from initial scoping through construction support while adhering to scope, budget, and schedule.